Three-headed demon Morgul has been influencing people's dreams to create nightmares, but more recently these nightmares have become real. Only Turrican
can save them in this fast paced side scrolling shoot-em up. It features 5 worlds and 13 levels of challenging gameplay.
Gameplay is conceptually simple: just jump, shoot and explore. However, this game puts a lot of emphasis on finding and using the 10 different weapons Turrican can collect.
- "Hurrican" -- Working title
Part of the Following Group
The Press Says
The cover art for the Game Boy, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 was painted by Julie Bell
and is entitled Turrican
The player character was originally much thinner, but feedback from a British associate ("too girly") convinced the developers to make a last minute change. The original character can be seen on the Amiga back cover
The title screen of Turrican
was obviously inspired by the cover of the Manowar album Kings of Metal
In June 2007, a freeware Windows remake with the title Hurrican
The name Turrican comes from the Italian name "Turricano", which the developers found in a phone book of Düsseldorf (Germany).
Information also contributed by
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – Best Action Game in 1990
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (issue #00) - #88 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Commodore Format
- July 1991 (Issue 10) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1991 - Best Sound in 1990 (Amiga version)
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #100 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1991 – #5 Best Shoot-'em-Up Game in 1990 (Atari ST)
Related Web Sites
(63047) added Turrican
(ZX Spectrum) on Aug 31, 2004