DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
|Viewing Page 1 of 8||(items 1-25 of 198)||Next|
Ainevoltas is a small freeware 2D platformer with some very minor RPG elements. Players control Justin as he needs to...
Ainevoltas II is a 2D platformer with minor RPG elements. It is the sequel to the earlier game Ainevoltas, but...
Nintendo DS (2011)
Aliens: Infestation is a side-scrolling action/platformer that takes heavy inspiration from Nintendo's Metroid series and from latter-day Castlevania side-scrollers. Infestation...
AM2R: Return of Samus is a fangame and a remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus using the art and...
At some point during the 1980's the world has become a stage of battle between the Federation and the Empire....
Sharp X1 (1985)
The protagonist of the game was sent on the spaceship Zeppelin to a supposedly deserted planet. However, upon entering its...
As soon as the Hermes, a prototype dimension-crossing starship arrived at its destination's orbit, the mining colony of G-54, it...
A downloadable game for the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom, BS The Legend of Zelda is a remake of...
Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils is an anime-themed, exploration-based platformer. The game is set in a world...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 99 Ōkami
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 94 Batman: Arkham City
- 93 Super Metroid
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.50 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.49 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.41 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.40 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.33 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.33 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
- 4.33 Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004)
- 4.30 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.28 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Comics [DEPRECATED]
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG Elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction