DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
Nintendo 3DS (2011)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a graphically enhanced remake of the Nintendo 64 version. The game...
This is one of three Zelda-based games released for the CD-i. Ganon and his cronies have seized the island of...
SEGA Master System (1988)
The player is in the role of Landau, a man who must pass three tests in order to gain the...
What do you do when a shadowy figure steals your cat? You go rescue your cat, of course!Lyle in Cube...
Based between the events of the Game Boy Advance titles, Mega Man Battle Network 1 and 2, Lan and the...
Nintendo DS (2006)
Many years after the events in the Mega Man Zero series, humans and Reploids (humanoid robots) have at last found...
Nintendo DS (2007)
Grey was a Reploid found in a hidden factory in suspended animation, accidentally awakened during battle. Ashe was a human...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 93 Super Metroid
- 93 Ōkami
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.45 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.45 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.37 Prey (2017)
- 4.34 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.32 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.31 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
- 4.27 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.23 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.23 Iji (2008)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction