DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
Xbox 360 (2009)
Shadow Complex follows the main character Jason Fleming and his girlfriend Claire in their fight against an organization called the...
Game Boy Advance (2004)
In this game you play Yoh Asakura from the Shaman King Japanese Manga and TV Anime series. Yoh is a...
Game Boy Advance (2005)
Sequel to the original Shaman King: Master of Spirits, you once again take the role of Yoh Asakura as you...
Nintendo DS (2011)
Nintendo DS (2010)
Spider-Man has a problem. Not only has he a collection of villains on his case willing to take him down,...
Nintendo DS (2008)
Symbiotes have taken over New York, the city is in chaos, and only Spider-Man has a chance of stopping this...
Game Boy Advance (2003)
One of the Professor's inventions has inadvertently torn a large hole in the fabric of space/time, creating a portal between...
The Striders are a global organization of infiltration specialists who work to combat villainy and keep the world safe. From...
Game Boy (1993)
The third Ninja Turtle adventure on the Game Boy takes place one year after the events of the last game....
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 99 Ōkami
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 94 Batman: Arkham City
- 93 Super Metroid
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.50 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.49 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.41 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.40 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.33 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.33 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
- 4.33 Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004)
- 4.31 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.28 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- DO NOT USE
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG Elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction