DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
Super Panda Adventures is a game where you play as Fu - a panda warrior who has to rescue the...
Game Boy (1993)
The third Ninja Turtle adventure on the Game Boy takes place one year after the events of the last game....
Teslagrad is a side-scrolling platformer with strong puzzle elements. The protagonist is a boy who finds himself inside the mysterious...
Game Boy Advance (2005)
Halloween Town is preparing for this year's Halloween, and Jack Skellington is sure that this one will be the best...
Toshi Tensō Keikaku: Eternal City is a 2D-scrolling shooter game with some metroidvania elements. You play as Minty Geile, a...
Two friends, Gagwin and Baggus, along with Gagwin's son, went on a search for the 12 legendary treasures once gathered...
SEGA Master System (1993)
After defeating the Dragão Gospe Fogo (in Mônica no Castelo do Dragão), Mônica was kidnapped by Capitão Feio, but before...
Mônica went to visit her friends in País da Fantasia (Fantasy Land), but when she arrived, she had a surprise:...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 93 Super Metroid
- 93 Ōkami
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.45 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.45 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.37 Prey (2017)
- 4.34 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.32 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.31 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
- 4.27 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.23 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.23 Iji (2008)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction