DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
As soon as the Hermes, a prototype dimension-crossing starship arrived at its destination's orbit, the mining colony of G-54, it...
A downloadable game for the Satellaview add-on for the Super Famicom, BS The Legend of Zelda is a remake of...
Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils is an anime-themed, exploration-based platformer. The game is set in a world...
Nintendo DS (2008)
Set in the early 19th century, this installment of the long running Castlevania series takes a slight departure from the...
Nintendo DS (2006)
In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin you control two characters, a vampire hunter named Jonathan Morris and a young witch Charlotte...
The limited edition of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night includes: The game itself The "Illustrations & Comic" -art book The...
Nintendo 3DS (2012)
Cave Story is a re-release of the original Cave Story and meant to replace the 2010 DSi version. As technical...
The WiiWare version of Cave Story is an updated version of the original game. The visuals have been updated to...
Nintendo Switch (2017)
Nintendo 3DS (2011)
Cave Story 3D is an enhanced remake of Cave Story and the first version for the 3DS platform. The most...
Wii U (2017)
Professor Plum and his designs for the "doomsday device", DEAD END have been taken by the diabolical LAWBREAKERS - a...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 94 Batman: Arkham City
- 93 Super Metroid
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.50 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.49 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.40 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.36 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.33 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.33 Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004)
- 4.31 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.28 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
- 4.25 Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG Elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction