DescriptionMetroidvania is a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania and refers to games that feature the most distinctive gameplay concept of the Metroid games and later Castlevania games. Games of this genre feature a freely explorable world that is gated in content by specific abilities that need to be acquired by the player. Generally these game have a central hub from which the player can move to various interconnected levels which gradually unlock as the player acquires new skills. A large number of Metroidvania games use a side scrolling perspective like the games the name derives from but this is not a requirement. Top-down or bird's-eye view (e.g. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) or 3D games (e.g. Batman: Arkham Asylum) can also share these concepts. Metroidvania games usually feature mild RPG elements such as upgradable health.
GunGirl 2, the sequel to GunGirl, is a violent side-scrolling platform shooter. Playing as GunGirl or GunDude the player has...
Iji and her brother Dan were visiting the military complex where their father works when suddenly, out of nowhere, an...
Nintendo 3DS (2013)
The player is the Kid -- a rather diminutive, yet very ambitious character, whose goal in life is to gain...
Little Knytt is playing outside when he is suddenly abducted by a UFO. It collides with a meteorite and crash...
Knytt Stories, the sequel to Knytt, is a jump-and-run platformer with a distinctive minimalist art style. It is set in...
La•Mulana is a platform title that was five years in development and was designed to look like an MSX game....
Game Boy Advance (2007)
In this second version since the series restart, you are attempting to take out Gaul, the Ape King. The GBA...
Nintendo 3DS (2013)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the sequel to 1991's The Legend of Zelda: A Link to...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- 96 Metroid Prime
- 95 Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- 94 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- 94 Batman: Arkham City
- 93 Super Metroid
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games as rated by our users:
- 4.50 Cave Story (2010)
- 4.49 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008)
- 4.40 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
- 4.36 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013)
- 4.33 Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003)
- 4.33 Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (2004)
- 4.31 Super Metroid (1994)
- 4.28 Demon's Crest (1994)
- 4.28 Knytt Stories (2007)
- 4.25 Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Metroidvania is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG Elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction