DescriptionReal-time refers to gameplay that happens without waiting for player input, i.e. in real time. Action games are real-time by default and therefore do not require this tag.
The real-time tag is used for RTS (real-time strategy) games, many managerial simulations which are not turn-based (e.g. Transport Tycoon), as well as puzzle games that require quick thinking, such as Tetris variants.
This tag is also used to describe combat in certain role-playing games (the ATB system of many Final Fantasy games or the Infinity Engine combat in Baldur's Gate and some other Western RPGs). This type of combat requires the player to manage the activities of the combatants in real time, and should not be confused with that of Action RPGs, where combat is action-oriented.
Rare examples of real-time games outside of the aforementioned genres (e.g. The Last Express) also exist.
SEGA Saturn (1996)
The world of Legendra was ruled by benevolent goddesses, but the last of them, Astea, was challenged by a dark...
The verdant archipelago of the Dragon Isles: home to a prosperous nation led by an emperor, enjoying a thriving, peaceful...
On each level you play a funny little dragon. You must jump on the tussocks to collect prizes and avoid...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 96 World of Goo
- 95 World of Goo
- 95 StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- 94 World of Goo
- 94 Tetris
- 93 Vagrant Story
- 93 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- 93 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 93 Panzer Dragoon Saga
- 93 Lemmings
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 4.50 Abandoned Bricks (2004)
- 4.14 Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties (2008)
- 4.24 Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs (2007)
- 5.00 Anno 1404 (Limited Edition) (2009)
- 4.02 Army Men RTS (2004)
- 4.33 Aztech's Armory: Campaigns for Warcraft II (1997)
- 4.06 Baldies (1998)
- 3.52 Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1991)
- 5.00 Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Kondo wa Puzzle de Oshioki yo!! (1994)
- 5.00 Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Kurukkurin (1995)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Real-Time is part of Themes. This group of genres contain:
- Anime / Manga
- Board / Party Game
- Cards / Tiles
- Cyberpunk / Dark Sci-Fi
- Detective / Mystery
- Game Show
- Historical Battle (specific/exact)
- Interactive Fiction
- Interactive Fiction with Graphics
- Interactive Movie
- Martial Arts
- Meditative / Zen
- Mental training
- Paddle / Pong
- Persistent Universe
- Rhythm / Music
- Sci-Fi / Futuristic
- Spy / Espionage
- Survival Horror
- Video Backdrop
- Visual Novel