DescriptionShooters are action games in which the player character shoots enemies.
The shooting is usually performed with firearms in these games; however, any weapon that dispatches projectiles qualifies, which makes many games (e.g. Heretic) that rely on medieval ranged weaponry or even magical projectiles shooters as well.
There are many shooter sub-genres, including fixed-screen shooters, scrolling shooters, rail shooters, and others.
Since the emergence of 3D graphics, 3D shooters, popularized by Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, have become the leading representatives of the genre. This sub-genre is sometimes referred to as first-person shooter, though this definition is not very precise, since the genre's distinguishing feature are 3D environments, not the perspective; some 3D shooters allow players to switch between perspectives, while others enforce a third-person view.
3D shooters may incorporate elements of other genres, most commonly role-playing (e.g. System Shock games and Deus Ex).
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 4.01 Metroid (2007)
- 4.86 Alan Wake (Limited Collector's Edition) (2010)
- 4.90 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Limited Collector's Edition) (2007)
- 4.13 Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (2007)
- 4.88 Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009)
- 4.71 Far Cry 2 (Collector's Edition) (2008)
- 4.05 Wolfenstein 3D (2009)
- 4.80 The Quake Collection (2007)
- 4.80 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Collector's Limited Edition) (2009)
- 3.44 Mad Dog McCree (1994)
Games must have at least 5 votes and a User Score of 4.0 to be considered.
Shooter is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board / Party Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Game Show
- Hidden object
- Interactive Fiction
- Interactive Fiction with Graphics
- Interactive Movie
- Life / Social Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Paddle / Pong
- Rhythm / Music
- Survival Horror
- Tricks / Stunts
- Video Backdrop
- Visual Novel