DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Ace Combat: Joint Assault leaves the fictional worlds of previous Ace Combat installments and enters the real world. The missions...
Skies of Deception is the second game in the action flight series to appear on the PSP. The player commands...
PlayStation 2 (2006)
This sixth installment in the Ace Combat series is a prequel to Ace Combat 5 that tells about the Belkan...
Aces High is a multiplayer game in which three teams fight over domination of the map. The success is measured...
Aces of the Air attempts to simulate combat aviation using planes from around the World War II era.Missions involve destroying...
Take command of one of seven German U-Boats during WWII and hunt down and destroy allied convoys. This is never...
An expansion package for either the floppy or CD versions of Aces of the Deep adds brand new missions, areas...
Dynamix/Sierra's answer to the Lawrence Holland Air Combat Trilogy. This game includes an incredible amount of aircraft and ships. In...
This expansion set to Aces of the Pacific is premised on what might have happened in the pacific theater if...
PlayStation 2 (2004)
Aces of War is a historical flight combat sim set in the Pacific Theater of World War II which presents...
A WorldWar II simulation, you can fly different airplanes both on the Allied and the German side. The missions differ...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Wing Commander
- 93 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.