DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Fly! 2K is an updated "special enhanced" version of Fly!, a civilian flight sim similar to Microsoft Flight Simulator, Flight...
As the name suggests this game is the German version of Fly! 2K. Besides the main game it features a...
Flying Club is an unofficial add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 .Flying Club is based on a real club, The...
Fly Lauda is an add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator 98. Tagged as 'The Most Advanced Airline Upgrade Ever Conceived For...
Fly!: Piper and Cessna in San Francisco* is a cut down version of Fly!. The game is fully featured but...
Fly the Airbus A380 is an add-on for use with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 and/or Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. It...
In this educational newsgame presented in the editorial section of the New York Times, players assume the role of a...
Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked! is an interactive cooking title utilizing the Wii's motion controls as you, the player,...
Football Deluxe is a soccer management game. The player takes on the role of a manager and can choose to...
Football Manager 2011 (Kollekcionnoe izdanie) is a Collector's Edition of Football Manager 2011 with set of additional items: User manual...
Football Manager Handheld is a handheld version of Football Manager 2006, where you take control of a team in one...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Wing Commander
- 93 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.