DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Ars Regendi is a browser-based political game that lets the players take the reigns of their own, realistically simulated state....
Nintendo DS (2007)
Arthur and the Invisibles is an officially licensed game for the French film of the same name (Arthur et les...
Lead the secret war on illegal drugs in South America! Wage war against drug barons with advanced weaponry such as...
This compilation out of the ATARI TwinPack series includes the games:X-Com Enforcer Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos
ATCsimulator is a full simulation of air traffic control. Choose from over 48 different areas as you direct flights to...
ATCsimulator2, much like its predecessor, simulates the no-holds-barred world of air traffic control, with every realistic detail. The game pulls...
Atlantis Underwater Tycoon brings the tycoon craze to the depths of the ocean. The game plays like most other tycoon...
PlayStation 2 (2000)
In A Train 6 your goal as a the head of a major transport company is to build up an...
A-Train 8 features similar gameplay to its ancestors in the long-running series, particularly the Xbox 360 release, A-TrainHX.As CEO of...
Xbox 360 (2006)
A-Train HX is a railroad company building simulation for the Xbox 360 with gameplay is similar to the other games...
Apple II (1985)
At the Gates of Moscow 1941 is a turn-based division-level wargame set during the Operation Typhoon (World War 2), a...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Wing Commander
- 95 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
- 5.00 BFRIS Zero Gravity Fighter Combat (1999)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.