DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Nintendo 64 (2000)
SimCity 64 continues Nintendo's use of the general SimCity game with their own addition of more cartoonish and Nintendo related...
SimCity Creator is a revamped continuation of the SimCity universe with the same objective, to build the best city or...
Nintendo DS (2008)
SimCity Creator for the DS is a continuation of the long-running SimCity series. Build up or destroy your city; you...
The digital deluxe edition was only available online through Origin's online store. This edition contains: SimCity Heroes and Villains set...
Nintendo DS (2007)
SimCity DS brings the classic series to the handheld consoles.As the Mayor placed in charge of running their own city,...
SimCity Social combines the city-building and city-management gameplay of previous titles in the series with social features and a microtransaction...
If you are looking for SimCity 5, you should keep looking because SimCity Societies takes a completely different approach to...
This compilation includes SimCity Societies and its add-on SimCity Societies: Destinations.
SimCity Societies: Destinations is an expansion pack for SimCity Societies.This time around, the focus has shifted to building a tourism...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Wing Commander
- 93 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.