DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
SimSig is a freeware train simulator of modern UK railway signalling systems, from the point of view of a railway...
The Sims Online takes the gameplay from The Sims and brings it into a consistent online universe, where all the...
The Sims Social is a human life simulation similar to the previous installments in the Sims series. The player controls...
This compilation includes all the Sims Stories games. The three games included are: The Sims: Castaway Stories The Sims: Life...
The Sims & The Sims Livin' It Up is, as the title implies, a compilation of the following games:The Sims...
This is a compilation including The Sims, The Sims Creator, a disc of bonus content, and three expansion packs:The Sims:...
The Gold version of Sim Theme Park contains everything in the original, as well as extra rides and attractions. Just...
SimTunes is based on "Music Insects", an interactive audio-visual exhibit which was designed and created by Toshio Iwai in 1992....
This game offers the possibility of having any of the teams of the Spanish Primera División (92/93 season) under your...
Commodore PET/CBM (1980)
Simulation of Millikan Oil Drop Experiment is exactly that: a simulation of the experiment performed by Robert Millikan and Harvey...
SimuSex 1.0 is a simplistic "sex simulator" for DOS made by Erosoft. Apart from selecting a position and waving your...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Wing Commander
- 93 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.