DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Based essentially the entire Vietnam conflict, John Tiller's Squad Battles: Vietnam recounts the many battles between the U.S. Army, Marines,...
Through 33 different missions (which you can play in any order or as part of a campaign), you control the...
After many years away from making computer simulations, designer and historian Ed Bever returns to the field with Stalin's Dilemma....
Starball PC is an odd pinball game based largely on the game also called Starball, but for the Atari ST.While...
StarCalibur is an arcade style space combat game that takes the player to the 24th century, battling an alien race...
Another pinball game generated by Pinball Construction Set. Like the name says, the pinball action in focused around a star...
A set of 21 missions called "The Grimnada Mystery" for Star Crusader (floppy/CD). Also sold with the speech pack, but...
Star Fox Competition Weekend Edition is a rare version of Star Fox (StarWing in Europe) that was sold as a...
In Starlight, inspired by coign of vantage, players need to form signs in the sky watching the starts at night....
StarLines Inc. is a strategy game that puts the player in command of a fleet of starships carrying passengers and...
Starpoint Gemini is a combination of RPG, simulation and tactical strategy. It is set in a science-fiction version of the...
Star Quest I in the 27th Century is a shareware space combat flight simulation game developed by the Canadian company,...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Wing Commander
- 95 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
- 5.00 BFRIS Zero Gravity Fighter Combat (1999)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.