DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0 gives the player full control over a starship's every system, fighters and shuttles. Assign orders to over...
Battlecruiser Millennium is a genre mix between space simulation, economic simulation and first person shooter. The basic idea of the...
Battlecruiser Millennium (Gold Edition) is the latest in the Battlecruiser series, and includes a variety of improvements over Battlecruiser Millennium....
This mainly multiplayer focused expansion to Battlefield 1942 has you fighting with up to 64 fellow gamers during the least...
This compilation contains: Battlefield 1942 (base game) Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome (add-on) Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII...
The fifth game in American Civil War series of Battleground games brings us to another famous historical event detailing the...
The founder of a prestigious girls' high school comes back after 20 years of absence, in order to begin a...
ZX Spectrum (1982)
Written entirely in BASIC, with only block graphics and simple beeps, this game allows you to direct the RAF defence...
Battle of Britain is a turn-based simulation of aerial fights between Germany and Britain in 1940. There are two campaigns...
This is an add-on for Microsofts Combat Flight Simulator 3.The add-on has BoB missions and campaign, including detailed aircraft and...
Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory simulates the struggle of air warfare over the deadly skies of Britain during...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Wing Commander
- 95 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
- 5.00 BFRIS Zero Gravity Fighter Combat (1999)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.