DescriptionSimulation games are created with the goal of putting the player in control of a certain activity while attempting to make it as realistic as possible.
In the strictest sense of the word, all electronic games are simulations, since they cannot exist without simulating aspects of real life. However, simulation genre only includes games that focus (entirely or mostly) on imitating real-life activities. That does not mean that simulation games must be completely realistic; for example, space combat simulation games simulate an activity that is (yet) unknown to human beings. The distinguishing feature of simulation games is their emphasis on realism and detail comparable to those encountered in real life.
Most simulation games are not story-driven, since they concentrate on describing general activities, not concrete situations. Among notable exceptions are Wing Commander games, which combine space combat simulation with a continuous narrative.
Simulation themes vary greatly; theoretically, they are limited only by the amount of activities known to human beings. Simulation themes include, for example, traffic networks, medical care, romance, music, and many others.
Simulation games can be roughly divided into five main groups:
- Managerial simulations put the player in a position of a manager or a similar role.
- Construction simulations primarily involve building, for example cities.
- Life simulations may deal with human life or life in general.
- Professional / Social simulations are dedicated to specific social activities and professions.
- Vehicle simulations allow the player direct control of a vehicle with a certain sense of realism, for example plane, space ship, tank, etc.
Children of the Nile Pack is a bundle containing Children of the Nile (Enhanced Edition) and the add-on Children of...
Fly your chopper and complete various missions in this simple helicopter simulation game. You create your own pilot, and as...
Chris Moneymaker's World Poker Championship is a poker game that lets the player play eight different kind of poker games...
Locomotion is a cross between Chris Sawyer's RollerCoaster Tycoon series and Transport Tycoon. The game has the base concept taken...
Xbox 360 (2006)
In an alternate future, the cold war ends differently resulting in a 3rd world war. With the world in a...
Cinema Empire is a typical managerial simulation where the player manages a movie theater. The basic work procedure is no...
Nintendo DS (2006)
One day out of the blue, a dog with large ears that enables it to fly, dropped out of the...
Circus Empire is a game in Enlight's Empire series. In this game the player has to manage a circus.Of primary...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 97 Alter Ego
- 95 Wing Commander
- 95 Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon
- 95 Gran Turismo
- 93 Real Racing
- 92 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 7 International
- 92 Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
- 92 Slam Tilt
- 92 Rock Band
- 92 Real Racing 2
Games must have at least a MobyRank of 80 to be considered.
Top games by as rated by our users:
- 5.00 1942: The Pacific Air War Scenario (1995)
- 4.72 Aces: The Complete Collector's Edition (1995)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1990)
- 4.61 Air Warrior (1992)
- 3.71 A-Train (1990)
- 5.00 A-Train (1995)
- 5.00 Barbie Magical Fashion (2014)
- 5.00 Bassin's Black Bass (1994)
- 5.00 Best Before (2010)
- 5.00 BFRIS Zero Gravity Fighter Combat (1999)
Games must have at least 1 votes and a MobyScore of 4.0 to be considered.