DescriptionAlso called NVL games, "digital novels", and "choose-your-own-adventure games": games in which the story is told through text overlaid on a background representing the scene being described. The player's input is confined to periodically making choices which might affect the direction and outcome of the story. Mostly regarded as a branch of Japanese adventure, but Western examples exist as well.
A choose-your-own-adventure for horny frat boys, this automated conversion of the author's novel (also available as a PDF for e-readers)...
Everything is not as it seems in the school grounds, rumors run amok about students practicing black magic, and a...
TurboGrafx CD (1994)
Based on the popular manga and anime series, Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon tells the story of a group of Japanese...
Black Pencil is a short visual novel created using Multimedia Builder. It has 14 story paths and 5 different endings....
PlayStation 2 (2007)
Bleach: Blade Battlers 2nd is the second 3D fighting game of the Blade Battlers series. It allows the player to...
Boku to, Bokura no Natsu for Dreamcast is the non-hentai version of Boku to, Bokura no Natsu PC game for...
Brass Restauration is a Japanese visual novel about the orphan Takiguchi Ryo who loses his arm during a train accident....
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 89 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 88 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 88 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 87 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 86 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- 86 999: Nine Hours • Nine Persons • Nine Doors
- 85 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 82 To the Moon
- 81 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
- 81 Finding Paradise
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Visual Novel is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction