DescriptionAlso called NVL games, "digital novels", and "choose-your-own-adventure games": games in which the story is told through text overlaid on a background representing the scene being described. The player's input is confined to periodically making choices which might affect the direction and outcome of the story. Mostly regarded as a branch of Japanese adventure, but Western examples exist as well.
PlayStation 2 (2009)
Kouichi returns to his hometown after years of absence, expecting to find many changes. Instead, the island seems pretty much...
In Clone Doll, the protagonist is a rather "geeky" teenager who is actually a genius: he invented a machine that...
PlayStation 2 (2004)
Clover Heart's: Looking for Happiness is a PlayStation 2 port of a PC hentai game Clover Heart's, but stripped of...
code_18 is a sci-fi visual novel and a first game in the Infinity series not developed by KID. The player...
Limited Edition package of code_18 contains: code_18 game Special booklet with artwork Drama CD with main characters Music CD with...
PlayStation 4 (2018)
PS Vita (2015)
The hero of this game (default name Ryouta) is a typical hentai protagonist: a male teenager who is interested only...
PS Vita (2017)
PlayStation 2 (2007)
Colorful Aquarium: My Little Mermaid is a PS2 port of a hentai PC game called Colorful Aquarium. PS2 version removes...
Ryoichi Sakaki is in an unusual predicament. His parents have sold their house and everything in it, and left to...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 88 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 88 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 88 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 87 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 86 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- 86 999: Nine Hours • Nine Persons • Nine Doors
- 85 Doki Doki Literature Club!
- 85 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 82 To the Moon
- 81 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Visual Novel is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction