DescriptionAlso called NVL games, "digital novels", and "choose-your-own-adventure games": games in which the story is told through text overlaid on a background representing the scene being described. The player's input is confined to periodically making choices which might affect the direction and outcome of the story. Mostly regarded as a branch of Japanese adventure, but Western examples exist as well.
PS Vita (2015)
Sakumo district is known for its beautiful sakura blossoms. Not too long ago, as a redevelopment project for the district,...
Alnam no Kiba is a remake of the PC Engine RPG of the same title from two years prior. The...
Ririko Takeuchi is a female P.I. who got into the career more by chance than by choice. Her father, Takeo...
In the miraculous World of Demons, there lived a vampiric count. One day, standing near the statue of the Goddess...
The player takes a role of a young male assistant to the picture book writer who just went on a...
PlayStation 2 (2005)
Originally released as Angel Wish: Houkago no Meshitsukai ni Chu! for PC (Windows) as a romantic adult visual novel, this...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 88 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 88 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 88 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 87 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 86 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- 86 999: Nine Hours • Nine Persons • Nine Doors
- 85 Doki Doki Literature Club!
- 85 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 82 To the Moon
- 81 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Visual Novel is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Virtual World
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction