Forums > Game Forums > Shantae and the Pirate's Curse > A question about Amazon Fire TV

Michael Cassidy (21289) on 1/6/2016 4:39 AM · Permalink · Report

This game is available on Amazon for Fire TV. It says that the minimum requirement for operating system is Android 2.3. Now, I know next to nothing about Fire OS and other non-PC operating systems, so I have a question:

If I submit this release as a new platform, should it be Fire OS or Android? Amazon Fire TV runs Fire OS, but the Amazon page specifically mentions Android. Again, please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Sciere (930479) on 1/6/2016 10:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Available for Fire TV is not sufficient for Fire OS as there is compatibility with regular Android. In most cases it is regular Android, you can compare it with the availability on Google Play as those are all regular Android releases. There either needs to be word from the developer or a mention on the product page that it is optimized for Kindle Fire / Fire TV or it needs to be mentioned specifically such as here: Injustice: Gods Among Us (Kindle Tablet Edition)

Michael Cassidy (21289) on 1/6/2016 10:30 PM · Permalink · Report

So, it's not on Google Play, but the Fire TV version specifically mentions Android, and fails to mention Fire OS. Android, then?

Sciere (930479) on 1/14/2016 10:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, Amazon also sells regular Android games.

vedder (70767) on 1/15/2016 9:22 PM · Permalink · Report

In a related question. From Wikipedia:

"While the Kindle Fire line has always used customized distributions of Android, particularly 2.3.3 (Kindle Fire) and 4.0.3 (Kindle Fire HD), Amazon only began referring to the distribution as Fire OS beginning with its third iteration of Kindle Fire tablets"

So their custom fork from Android has been in use for all Kindle Fires, but has only be called FireOS since 2013. I see we have FireOS games in the database with release dates as far back as 2011, does that mean we also count the OS on the earlier Fire devices as FireOS?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/16/2016 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I am confident that some Kindle Choice of Games titles I submitted here for whatever the pre-Fire environment was have been incorrectly brought over.

Sciere (930479) on 1/16/2016 1:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The platform currently contains some games that are confirmed to have been optimized for a Kindle Fire device (from 2011 onwards) as a version separate from the regular Android release, which Amazon also often sells. This has been confirmed either through a 'Kindle Fire version' notice on the product page or based on information provided by the developer. Even if strictly pre-Fire OS, these releases would otherwise fall in an undocumented limbo as separately developed/tailored for Kindle Fire devices, next to a regular Android release. Therefore, the Fire OS covers these as well, as Amazon has always been using a separate/forked/modified Android version for these devices, even if it wasn't called Fire OS yet at the time.

It could be considered similar to the iPhone platform covering both the initial OS (OS X iPhone) as well as the later one (iOS).

vedder (70767) on 1/16/2016 9:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok, thanks for clarifying!