Forums > Game Forums > Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic > KotOR for teh cheaps! Should I?

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/6/2009 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

You know me, I'm too clever for the likes of Halo or Gears of War and I require my shooters to offer either an immersive atmosphere, a mind-blowingly fantastic storytelling or a complex resource management system (as in You Are Empty, Bioshock and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. respectively); but at the same time I'm too dumb for the likes of The Witcher or Planescape: Torment and I require my RPGs to offer a fun, quick and responsive gameplay --especially when it comes to combat (as in, needless to say, my beloved Fallout 3 =3 ).

Well I just learned D2D carries the widely acclaimed KotOR for only u$s 9.99999 =O and I figured it would be a good time to pick it up --that is, considering it is the kind of game I might enjoy. So, what do you say, should I put down my hard earned 9.99999 for this one? You think I might enjoy it?

By the way, for those interested, here be teh links.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/6/2009 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

D2D and Steam. They both added the game yesterday.

Kabushi (261204) on 9/6/2009 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

"This product is only available for purchase in the United States and Canada."

:(

Foxhack (32100) on 9/6/2009 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't have that problem on Steam. I managed to get to the checkout just fine - if the game were blocked I wouldn't even be able to LOOK at the product page.

Kabushi (261204) on 9/6/2009 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, that was for D2D. Steam is better than that :)

Foxhack (32100) on 9/6/2009 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Tell that to Rockstar and 2K Games.

Bastards STILL won't let me buy any of their games.

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/6/2009 11:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]Tell that to Rockstar and 2K Games.

Bastards STILL won't let me buy any of their games. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] For what it's worth, I did manage to buy Bioshock from Direct2Drive. Why would they allow me to do so and not Steam, is anyone's guess. So I guess you just need to hunt down for the proper online retailer, as those region-locking rules apparently are quite elastic.

That said, I'll avoid D2D whenever I can, as their system sucks ass: Games come in a behemot of a single .zip file, which is just about the worst idea in the history of downloadable content. I mean, if your 8gb file -which you spent a good few nights downloading at least- turns out to be corrupted, it's all the way back to square one, and better luck this time =(

Foxhack (32100) on 9/7/2009 12:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I've managed to get around the restriction by getting a friend to gift me Bioshock.

And Prey? I used the CD Key included in the copy of the game I got from the flea market.

Still freakin' irritating.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/7/2009 2:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, you say you are too dumb for Witcher - then perhaps you won't enjoy Kotor after all. Witcher is an action RPG without party, much closer to the games you usually play than Kotor. Kotor has a party and the combat is semi-turn-based, like in Torment. It's very similar to Torment, but simpler to play and with less text.

—- (1623) on 9/7/2009 3:26 AM · Permalink · Report

You liked Fallout 3, but consider yourself too dumb for The Witcher? Actually, in terms of complexity, I'd put them both on pretty much the same level... scratches head

Anyway, KotOR's battle system is really simplistic and dynamic. For most battles you probably won't even need to use the pause function, and you can easily play through the game with concentrating only on a select few abilities.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/27/2009 8:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ash Ligast II wrote--]You liked Fallout 3, but consider yourself too dumb for The Witcher? Actually, in terms of complexity, I'd put them both on pretty much the same level... scratches head [/Q --end Ash Ligast II wrote--] Fallout 3's annoying character development system gives me nausea everytime I get the urge to replay the game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/27/2009 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Fallout 3's annoying character development system gives me nausea everytime I get the urge to replay the game. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] And what exactly is so annoying? You get experience points by doing stuff. Isn't that what a rpg is supposed to be all about? o__O

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/28/2009 1:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, you can't have tentacle sex with female characters in Fallout 3. That's a major flaw in character development system, according to Indra :)~

Seriously, I can only say that I was annoyed by the level cap. Is there a mod or something that removes it?

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/29/2009 3:55 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] Seriously, I can only say that I was annoyed by the level cap. Is there a mod or something that removes it? [/Q --end Unicorn B. Lynx wrote--] Oi, that's my cue for a plug!! =D

First things first --There are actually at least two solutions for that annoying cap:

1) A Level Cap remover proper. It does what you want, but it might or might not be slightly problematic since it's messing with core settings of the game. Also, you're encouraged to use a couple of backup mods to get full advantage of it (like a skill level cap remover, a mod that makes the game take count of skills over 100 and such)

2) The one I actually use, a mod that slows the rate at which you level up. It's fairly simple: Now it takes noticeably more XP to reach a new level, which in turn makes exploring the gameworld twice as rewarding as before, if you will.

The FO3 modding scene is a quite interesting one, actually. I've been following it for a good while now, and my current build of the game loads a whooping 70+ mods (OK, some of them are part of larger mega-mods, but still).

Here are a few shots of how my Fallout 3 looks to this day:

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/29/2009 4:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks! Super-cool stuff.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/29/2009 5:01 AM · Permalink · Report

It's the apocalypse, I don't want characters to look like creepy dolls...

Indra was here (20755) on 10/3/2009 12:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Fallout 3's annoying character development system gives me nausea every time I get the urge to replay the game. [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] And what exactly is so annoying? You get experience points by doing stuff. Isn't that what a rpg is supposed to be all about? o__O [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] In addition to what Oleg said, a tad annoyed when you maxed out a particular statistic (e.g. Intelligence) and find something that gives a permanent increase to that statistic, which prompted me to restarted the dang game again.

Frustrating really. Not so, if you play casually and not aim to create that perfectly developed character.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/4/2009 12:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Frustrating really. Not so, if you play casually and not aim to create that perfectly developed character. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] If by "play casually" you mean get involved in the gameworld and looking for every bit and piece of story in every single sidequest, then I guess I do play it casually. Though judging by the attention to detail these guys put into all those sub-stories and into making the wasteland such a complex world with so much personality, I'm tempted to say you're not even getting what the game is all about, and you're playing it like it was some sort of statistics spreadsheet.

Then again, what do I know about RPGs at all. The fact that I adore the one most RPGers out there love to hate is pretty much self-explanatory.