🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > What was the favorite game you played in 2018?

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 12/31/2018 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

The year is almost over, so it is time to name your favorite games of the year! As it is MobyGames tradition, all games you have played are acceptable, not only 2018 ones.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/31/2018 5:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Drakensang: The River of Time and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. I would say both are almost flawless from my perspective.

Most pleasant surprise: Dead Space.

Meh moment: Fallout Shelter.

Bad and incomprehensible: Consortium.

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 12/31/2018 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

In previous years, I struggled to come up with ten games; this year I have problems to choose from all the fantastic games I played.

1) Finding Paradise - It made me cry. The gameplay is not too great, but I just love the narrative and the writing.

2) Spider-Man - The best open-world game I played in a long time. Great movement, good story, not too long, not too big.

3) Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - I love this series, even if I enjoyed it less than the predecessor.

4) Braid - The direct opposite to Finding Paradise. I did not care about the story, but this is one of the best designed game I have ever seen. Every gameplay mechanic, every enemy position, every puzzle is perfectly polished.

5) Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky + SC - I treat this as one game because it essentially is. It would have ranked higher on the list if there were not that so obvious problems with it.

6) Shadow Tactics - Another very well designed game which satisfied an itch I did forget I even had.

7) Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal - Every game which makes me play >10 hours on one day deserves to be on this list.

8) Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes - This point & click adventure has a fantastic humor (at least in German), great puzzles and does not annoy with too many hotspots.

9) Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - I love this series to death.

10) Uncharted 2 - A very big improvement compared to its predecessor. I did not care about the shooting, but I liked the story, the characters and the setpieces.

And of course I can't forget the worst game of the year, the worst game of all years: Thi4f.

Flapco (46055) on 1/1/2019 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Only older titles this year for my Wii and PS2:

1. ICO - Really nice, liked how the story was told almost entirely without dialogue

2. Maximo vs Army of Zin - Very good platformer with beat’em up action

3. Onimusha: Warlords - I should have played it much earlier.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nice but a bit to long.

5. Legacy of Kain: Defiance - A bit repetitif but the storytelling saved the game.

6. Maximo - Nice but frustratingly hard and poor fighting mechanics compared to part two

7. Sonic: Colors -

Harmony♡ (21848) on 12/31/2018 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Money was tight this year, so I didn't get to play many new games at all. Mostly just been replaying ones I already owned. Still, there's a couple highlights.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - It's neither my favorite in the series nor did it hold my attention the longest, but it's a solid RPG that I happily sunk a couple hundred hours into.

Tetris Effect - A gorgeous game from one of my favorite developers.

Minecraft - Yes, really. My main Discord server set up a realm, and our group has just the right amount of people in it for a really nice, laid-back experience. Our schedules rarely line up, so it's nice to be able to work towards common goals without us necessarily being online at the same time.

Plok (213888) on 12/31/2018 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Space Colony HD was a positive surprise for me.

Ion Maiden preview campaign is pretty fun and I can't wait for the full version.

Cavalary (11445) on 12/31/2018 11:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

As usual, just a few games played, definitely nothing released this year, though some were unusually recent for me actually. Pretty poor year in terms of quality though, good elements but also lots of annoyances and reasons for frustration, nothing to impress me.

I guess Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (review) gets the top spot by comparison with the rest, seeing as otherwise I just mentioned quite a number of complaints. #2 is Ember (review), and I actually mulled over putting it first for a moment, but again, just a matter of comparing and nothing impressing me. Which leaves Disciples: Sacred Lands - Gold (review) as clearly #3... Because Her Story (review) is barely a game, can't be compared. And let's forget about the two mobile (MRE / Nokia 230) games, Block Breaker 3 Unlimited (not in database) and Dungeon Hunter 3. And that's the whole list.

GTramp (81965) on 1/1/2019 7:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

This year I played less games than usual, due to me working hard on and eventually finishing my PhD thesis and all; but still it helped me to be more focused on what I play and pick games more carefully. Although by the end of the year I started picking games from a list using a randomizing roulette.

• The best sudden game for me this year, and overall the best experience -- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
  • An extremely enjoyable little thing -- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
  • Best games replayed this year -- The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II: Hell on Earth (Ultra Violence difficulty. No saving. Pistol only starts.) (PC)
  • Best indie or whatever, just very enjoyable -- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
  • Mandatory LEGO co-op with my kids -- LEGO Jurassic World (this one is actually better than a dozen of other LEGO games we've finished) (PS3)
  • The game that I expected to be good and it did deliver -- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

Virgil (8563) on 1/1/2019 10:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'll post those that I have reviewed on my YouTube channel this year and mark ones that are most memorable:

• The Mummy Demastered
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst +
  • Crossing Souls +
  • Into the Breach +
  • Fear Effect Sedna
  • Jalopy +
  • The Raven Remastered
  • Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill: Slaps & Beans
  • Deadly Desert
  • Battletech +
  • Forsaken Remastered
  • Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered
  • Bounty Train
  • Star Control Origins +
  • Project Warlock +
  • Return of the Obra Dinn

MAT (240968) on 1/1/2019 12:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Favorite games I've finished (not just played as it wouldn't give me full experience) in 2018...

• PS4 | Horizon: Zero Dawn (Complete Edition) -- my first 4K experience on new monitor... I am okay for not seeing PS5 a couple more years :)
  • PS4 | Detroit -- much better than I anticipated, well worth the wait
  • PS4 | Hidden Agenda -- short but sweet... didn't like forced smartphone controls
  • WIN | Panzer Korps -- base game and story add-ons, not campaign add-ons, not as good as Panzer General but fun nonetheless
  • PS4 | Guardians of the Galaxy -- Telltale adventure game, very funny, as good as movies
  • PS4 | Yakuza 0 -- as other in the series, starts slow but builds up strong emotionally... I'm ready for Kiwami 2 now

Most disappointing games I've finished in 2018...

• PS4 | God of War -- great graphics, but game and story are boring as hell, so way below original trilogy
  • WIN | Stasis -- was looking forward to this, but turned out really bad, a lot of macabre with bad gameplay and cliche story
  • PS4 | Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Director's Cut) -- awesome music and world shifting, but far from being fun to play

Katakis | ă‚«ă‚żă‚­ă‚ą (43091) on 3/18/2019 12:11 PM · Permalink · Report

That is interesting, MAT. Now I dare you to translate all of that into Japanese ... lol

chirinea (47495) on 1/1/2019 1:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Like GTramp I didn't play as many games as I wanted due to finishing my PhD thesis, and things got also busy with a baby at home, but at least I got to play some that I've been wanting to pay for a while.

Best games:

• Pagan: Ultima VIII: the game that turned me from a console to a PC gamer in the first place. I never went further than the necromancers' quest back in the day (partly due to a bug when performing a ritual), but now I finally found time to play it to the end. I love so may thing about this one I should write a review someday.
  • Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin: started in 2017, beat in 2018. I like the first one better, but this was great nonetheless.
  • Gain Ground: one of my favorite Mega Drive games, this was something I always came back to from time to time. 2018 was the year to finally beat it. Now I must wait for my son to grow and beat it in co-op mode with him.
  • Axiom Verge: I'm a sucker for metroidvanias, this one was on my watch list since the release. Pretty and fun.
  • MDK: this one aged pretty well. I played a bit of it back in the day, but just beat it last year.
  • Blake Stone: Planet Strike: this one was a pleasant surprise. I have a soft spot for early FPSs, got this one for free and had a great time with it.
  • Firewatch: fun, but short.

One minor disappointment was Jotun. The game is beautiful and the idea is interesting, but the gameplay is terribly slow and uneventful.

vedder (70793) on 1/1/2019 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

1. Frostpunk

1. Ori and the Blind Forest
  2. Prey
  3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  4. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  5. The Last Guardian
  6. Celeste
  7. Mass Effect 3
  8. Into The Breach
  9. Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/1/2019 9:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Didn't get around to much game playing, but had a blast going through Chuchel with my kids a couple of days ago. Amanita is a critical voice in games.

Kennyannydenny (128164) on 1/2/2019 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

• Total War: Warhammer II
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Jurassic World: Evolution
  • Far Cry 5

POMAH (66432) on 1/4/2019 8:23 PM · Permalink · Report

During 2018:

• A lot of fun was taken from Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition, where I has spent 100+ hours.
  • Outlast and Outlast: Whistleblower were quite addictive.
  • Remothered: Tormented Fathers was a quite surprising.

piltdown_man (235897) on 1/5/2019 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I played Fallout New Vegas, which I never finished, and have just updated & restarted it. I played and liked Fallout 4 but didn't get very far with that either so that's another game that's pending

Based on game time though it is probably a tie between Freecell, Solitaire and some free slot machine games on the Amazon Fire TV thingy.

Gustavo Galembeck (172) on 1/16/2019 10:36 AM · Permalink · Report

The God Paradox (Win). Great game, challenging as hell, and what might be my favorite game soundtrack ever.

friv unblocked on 2/20/2019 8:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[spam removed]

Sea Dolphin II on 5/12/2019 4:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Monster Hunter: World was my personal favorite 2018 release. The game fulfilled my relativity high expectations and I can safely say I thoroughly enjoyed it.