🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > 20 Years!

MobyReed (325) on 3/1/2019 4:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That’s an amazingly long time in the world wide web. There aren’t many sites that have managed to stay alive for 2 decades!

With the help of our wonderful contributors, we have meticulously documented almost 200,000 games from 266 platforms. Including 793,123 developers, 33,015 companies, 850,321 screenshots, 524,875 pieces of cover art and much more! And did you know we now have an API (in beta) that you can access for free?

Many, many thanks to all of our contributors and approvers! Without their tireless efforts, our database would be quite lonely. Also special thanks to Simon Carless (who helps me, Reed, run the site in-between our day jobs), Brian Hirt for helping with infrastructure emergencies and the intricacies of the codebase, and Tracy who helps with updates and built the API. And of course thanks to Jim Leonard and Brian Hirt who started this amazing project way back in 1999! Check out Jim’s excellent in-depth retrospective.

What next?! We’re just beginning! We’ll always be documenting and growing the database. However, the MobyGames platform needs a lot of work and improvements. As you might imagine, things are getting a bit old in the tooth! Combined with the overall complexity of the site it makes for a daunting task with no full-time staff.

We want to improve the platform and ensure we’re around another 20 years! If you find MobyGames useful and are able to help us with this goal, please consider supporting our Patreon. If even 1% of those reading this contributed, we’d be able to bring on help and make meaningful progress toward improving the platform.

Thank you everyone, here’s to another 20 years!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 3/1/2019 5:48 PM · Permalink · Report

200 000 games in 20 years is about 27 games approved per day.

Not shockingly active, but nothing to sniff at, and more to the point -- a difficult pace to maintain for two decades, running on volunteer labour.

Cavalary (11445) on 3/1/2019 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

It is indeed quite an achievement to remain on-line for so long. So yep, here's for 20, 40, 60... more years, and may things get a lot better.

Trixter (8952) on 3/1/2019 6:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I said it in the article, but I'll say it again here: Huge thanks to the entire community of volunteers who have kept the database relevant, updated, accurate, and growing. You're a testament to the entire industry. Thank you so much.

Also, a huge thanks to Simon and Reed for grabbing the reins years ago and fighting the good fight. I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Flapco (46055) on 3/1/2019 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

An amazing achievement indeed!

Plok (214112) on 3/1/2019 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

We old.

Happy birthday MG, and many more!

jnlgame on 3/2/2019 2:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Wow wow! 20 years!!!

We, J&L Game have been running physical game store in NYC since 1994 too!(https://www.jnlgame.com/pages/our-stories)

I am pretty sure it takes tons of blood and sweat to build this enormous database and I must admit we sometimes need to find game cover thru MobyGames too! Keep up the good work!!

BTW, Can you let me know if there is any way to sell new/used items from your platform, or use it to build a site? Hit me up

James

chirinea (47495) on 3/2/2019 4:41 AM · Permalink · Report

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to work alongside you guys for about 16 of those 20 years. Here's to 20 more!

Evil Ryu (66052) on 3/4/2019 3:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]It has been a pleasure and a privilege to work alongside you guys for about 16 of those 20 years. Here's to 20 more! [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]Falou e disse, Sr. Guilherme: assinando embaixo! ^_^

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569120) on 3/2/2019 5:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Happy Birthday to Moby.....Here's to another 20 years. Cheers!

MAT (240968) on 3/4/2019 7:15 AM · Permalink · Report

It would be more believable if it was a PC achievement, seeing how Xbox gaming was non-existent 20 years ago ;))

Plok (214112) on 3/4/2019 10:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Neither did the concept of achievements :P

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 3/2/2019 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't regret spending one decade (only one month off!) and countless hours of my life with contributing to this site. I think that's the biggest praise I can give.

hoeksmas (149523) on 3/2/2019 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been using Mobygames since the beginning, and I guess it was finally time to start contributing. Of course, I think I've only submitted 1 game which doesn't predate Mobygames. :P

Kennyannydenny (128164) on 3/3/2019 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy birthday Mobygames, I always love editting on here and can't wait to see whats in store for us in the future! Hope we can continue doing this for a long time :)

GTramp (81965) on 3/4/2019 12:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Cheers to the first 20 years! Not a wee lad already, but still far from a truly grown-up person!

MaxFreeman (1672) on 3/4/2019 5:36 AM · Permalink · Report

20 years of excellence, congratulations MobyGames!

MAT (240968) on 3/4/2019 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

In a way, this is all of us' legacy for future generation to come. In 20 more years some young gamers will look at some old DOS box covers and say... phew, I wish I could get my hand of such a cool old game in such pristine condition, but at least I can see how it looked back then ;)

Almost half of my life spent on this site. Probably one of good things is that I almost never saw any banner ad here which made this site much prettier and easier to navigate.

Alright, next MobyGoal is 30 years or 300 000 games, whichever comes first :p

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/6/2019 4:48 PM · Permalink · Report

The little database that could. Congrats on 20 years, and to many more!

goldenxp (3020) on 3/6/2019 6:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! What this site does is very important so here's to more. Long live MobyGames!

Pedro Ferreira (2627) on 3/14/2019 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy birthday guys. This is the best gaming database on the Internet.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/17/2019 10:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Happy birthday, dear MobyGames. All the joyful hours and days and years I spent with this website. Still recall that day, 18 years ago, when I joined. Cheers! Many more years and decades and centuries and millennia to MobyGames! :-))

Katakis | カタキス (43091) on 3/18/2019 5:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Happy birthday, MobyGames.

Funny how David Berk never got a mention.

MAT (240968) on 5/9/2019 12:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

David Berk joined later as an admin and helped with approvals. Otherwise Rob Lim could've been mentioned as well. It was about people who created this site, not all who joined afterwards, I guess. Plus, aside from people who were here from early days, like you and me, this information may be unknown.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 5/9/2019 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Didn't Berk leave under a cloud of ignominy? Or is this you stirring the pot? 8)

Taking to Google to get up to speed, this telling quote surfaces: "When I told MobyGames' David Berk about Game Couch he offered a ton of advice, but his truest words were, "running a website will break your heart."."

Sea Dolphin II on 5/12/2019 4:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

What an impressive achievement. I had no idea the site was so old. Congratulations!

trusteft (6) on 5/19/2019 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't remember many sites I used to visit 20+ years ago that I still visit today, either because they are gone or times have changed. While it took me almost that amount of time to create an account here, I always used this site, as far as I remember.

I wish you even better success and to at least another 20 years of kicking ass.

Alianger (44) on 9/6/2019 10:23 AM · Permalink · Report

To quote a classic: "Stay awhile; stay forever!"

A. Dumitrescu (561) on 12/15/2019 2:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Wooha! Congratulations MobyGames!

I find it extremely hard to trust people nowadays but I will think about becoming part of that 1%.