Forums > News > Amazon.com accepting Wii pre-orders in the US

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/15/2006 2:29 PM · Permalink · Report

EBGames/Gamestop, Buy.com, Walmart, BestBuy are not yet accepting online Wii pre-orders. Some retailers are accepting walk-in pre-orders with various deposits. On a lark I checked Amazon.com and lo and behold Wii pre-orders!!! I ordered before they tore the page down. Who knows if you will actually get the system anytime close to the launch date. Hopefully it is some first come, first serve process and I got somewhere close to the front of the line. I will probably run down to the local Gamestop and put a deposit on a system there too. Now if I can only find a place to pre-order a PS3 I would be set. *Note: Link contains MobyGames Amazon Associate code.

I used to hate buying games from Amazon. They used to rely on third party retailers like Gamestop, J&R and others to do fulfillment and who the heck knew when things shipped or when/if it would arrive. Now Amazon retails the games themselves and Amazon Prime is pretty cool with free two day shipping.

Who else is getting ... well ... trying to get a Wii on or around Nov 19?

Ben K (23952) on 9/16/2006 1:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I'm getting a Wii...on December whatever. Oh well. :-) There's a deal at AU Toys R Us stores - preorder (put $50 down) and you'll get a free launch game too. So that's pretty sweet. I'm thinking I'll grab a game I wouldn't normally buy, and buy the games I was planning to buy anyway (ie, Zelda, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and Elebits if it's out here).

Doppelgamer (184) on 9/16/2006 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

As is my custom, I'll be waiting a year or two until they have more games. Love the Wii, but there's too many games to play as it is right now.

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/16/2006 2:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah. I don't know what my problem is. I know for a fact I will be paying a premium and there will not be any good games for atleast a year. I still NEED it. I WANTS it. My precous.

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 9/16/2006 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I think i may wait it out too...

I'm still debating if i wanna get the PS3 first or the Wii

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/16/2006 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm gonna try and get it around there, me and my frineds want to camp out just for fun. since we've never hasd the experience.

It's gonna be hard to get a unit on the launch since its gonna be a big system and everyones gonna want one. If I end up having to wait I wont mind since more games come out in 2007 anyway.

Ronald Diemicke (1181) on 9/17/2006 1:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah... I know I'll probally end up selling a couple pints of blood to try and afford this and the ps3... why ? Cuz' I needs my fix. :)

As far as games, the Wii lineup as muddled with lots of ports - but I'll probally end up with Zelda, Red Steel and Excitetruck.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/17/2006 2:19 AM · Permalink · Report

[q]As far as games, the Wii lineup as muddled with lots of ports - but I'll probally end up with Zelda, Red Steel and Excitetruck.[/q]

Yea, actually the reason for that is that developers started seeing how popular the Wii was becoming and started pledging their support for it. Instead of making it only for one system, they're making it also for the Wii as well. All of a sudden Splinter Cell Double Agent is being ported ot the Wii, and all I can think is "wtf"? I mean, I cant even think of how that can be implemented into the Wiimote.

Their first party line-up looks top-notch IMO though. Can't wait for Zelda, Excitetruck, Trauma Center, Brawl, and others. I can only imagine SSB Brawl on free wi-fi!

JPaterson (9502) on 9/18/2006 4:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I have absolutely no interest in either the Wii or the PS3 at this point. I will most likely rent the system at a Blockbuster and try it out, but I don't see myself purchasing it until after it's been out a year and has dropped in price. The price doesn't scare me, I just don't see it being worth it, especially after the GameCube. I bought that at launch and, well, it's 2006 and I haven't touched it since Resident Evil 4 came out. Beat that a few days after I bought it at launch, and it's been sitting in the closet.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 9/18/2006 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[q]I have absolutely no interest in either the Wii or the PS3 at this point. I will most likely rent the system at a Blockbuster and try it out,[/q]

You can rent systems at blockbuster. Man, where can you do that, because we cant do that here in America!

[q] but I don't see myself purchasing it until after it's been out a year and has dropped in price.[/q]

Same reason I'm waiting to get a 360, just waiting for the price drop that will probably come around sometime after PS3

Corn Popper (69030) on 9/18/2006 7:48 PM · Permalink · Report

sure you can do that here... depends on the area and store I guess

Riamus (8480) on 9/19/2006 1:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep. Many have that option. Just ask at one and see. In the past, some gas stations that offered movie and game rentals also offered rentals of VCRs and gaming systems. Back then, it was NES/SNES that you saw.

nullnullnull (1463) on 9/18/2006 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Same reason I'm waiting to get a 360, just waiting for the price drop that will probably come around sometime after PS3 [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

As much as I hate endorsing MS I really love my 360. Brian of course is on his fourth one. They keep sending him busticated units. I recomend that if you do get one to get the extended warranty.

Guy Chapman (1748) on 9/18/2006 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd love to get a Wii. I was kinda "eh" about the whole idea of it at first, but after seeing what it can do at E3, I'm glad that somebody is trying to do something new with gaming at an affordable price. Good for Nintendo this round!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66271) on 9/18/2006 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Note: Link contains MobyGames Amazon Associate code.

Good! These should be all over this site, not just consigned to the "Links/Searches" ghetto. Are we serious about click-throughs on relevant ad displays or what?