🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > Any help with Chop 'N Drop?

Marker (557) on 4/24/2012 4:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm trying to get Activision's 1988 Chop 'N Block listed with Moby, but I keep typing in Activision as the publisher, System 3 Software Ltd. as the developer, and Mediagenic as the distributor (all of which are on the box, which is all I have), and Wizard keeps bouncing back on me that "there are more than one company by that name" or that "there is no company by that name" so I can't get past the first window.

Any suggestions?

I did the art which you can see here:

http://www.marcericksen.com/CND.jpg

Rola (8483) on 4/24/2012 5:09 PM · Permalink · Report

On the same screen, just below the instruction part (and above the release info) there will be a link allowing you to add a new company. Use it next time, but it appears we have all those companies you've mentioned. As troublesome as it is for the contributor, sometimes a company has several branches listed or operates under a different brand - you need to check time period / region of operation to pick the right one from the drop-down list (after you click Update on the same screen).

Marker (557) on 4/25/2012 3:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for that Rola, I did try in vain to get past that step using your suggestion, but alas no luck. The direction the Wizard gives back is so short and dry that I'm left with on avenue for progress. It's a shame that getting a game in here is so tricky. I've seen C'ND on other vintage sites.

It's amazing that I managed to get any games introed here, but I was able to get the Tronix series started, and recently located in my archive a number of the instructions for games like Juice,Galactic Blitz, Kid Grid and Swarm! So I'll give those a shot too.

I guess for now, without any further direction, I have to give up trying to intro Chop 'N Drop to MobyG.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 4/25/2012 3:55 AM · Permalink · Report

My advice is to write everything you have prepared for this entry into a notepad text files, then submit an /incomplete/ entry without all the companies and then in the notes to the approver say that there are some corrections you need to make (or that you need them to make on your behalf) after the entry goes live, and to point to this discussion.

Marker (557) on 4/25/2012 4:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Sounds like a plan. Seems like some of the approvers are tougher than others. We'll see what happens.

I dropped in my bio last night, and I expect a bounceback on that. I named names, named companies, and named games. I expect they'll want verification sources on all of it, which is impossible, even though every word is the truth. I've got my fingers crossed though. It was fun to write.

Rola (8483) on 4/25/2012 11:40 AM · Permalink · Report

As Kabushi said below, we have this title on file as IK+ (Euro edition), but let's go again through submission process (you may need this for next titles you'd like to submit) :

You are on the Release Info screen. It won't let you go without entering at least a year of release and a country (in this case: US).

You type Activision as the publisher
System 3 Software Ltd. as the developer
Mediagenic as the distributor
then press Update.

The wizard now asks "there are more than one company by that name" and rightly so. There are drop-down lists in the fields you've been typing so far.

As a publisher pick Activision Publishing, Inc. (a.k.a Activision, Inc.) - this is the oldest US "trunk" and not one of the international branches.

Developer = System 3 Software Limited (a.k.a System 3 Software Ltd.)

Distributor = Activision Publishing, Inc. (a.k.a Mediagenic)

...and the wizard should let you go to another screen by pressing Next. So where was the problem?

Marker (557) on 4/30/2012 1:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay, I'll give it another try. Great on the word for word description. I'll go at it as the U.S. release for 'International Karate+' and see if I make any headway. I ran into a similar issue with Steven Jackson 'Boat Wars'. It was a subsidiary release of the Steven Jackson 'CarWars' series, and I had to back off trying to get it in under that group. They couldn't approve it that way. I'm holding that out for now.

Bear in mind Rola, that my Moby rating is in the 00060 range, and I can't help but notice your rating is over 3 grand, and Kabushi, OMG! 87 K and counting?! I seriously appreciate the help, and I understand it feels like child's play to you folks. You know the drill, I'm a rookie. I've got the 'contribute: credit' responses figured out, and can even get most of my artists credits accepted, even when the signature got cropped, so I'm making some basic progress.

Thanks again.

Kabushi (261204) on 4/25/2012 8:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Only one problem remaining: Chop 'n Block is the same as International Karate+.

Marker (557) on 4/30/2012 3:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay guys, What I got with Wizard this time was that there was no company called 'System 3 Software Ltd.', even though I also named it spelling 'Limited' out as well. It just said 'no company by that name' and wouldn't give me a drop down bar to work with. Otherwise the drop down menus for Activision worked just as you related, except that it didn't have a choice named 'Activision/Mediagenic'.

Without anywhere to go on 'developed by' I couldn't move forward.

Under comments I wrote that this was the U.S. Commodore 64 version of the European "International Karate+', but it was wasted because I couldn't go to the next step.

maybe I'll back out of this one too for awhile. Thanks for the input though. Cheers. M.-

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/30/2012 11:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just put "System 3" in the box. I just tried it and it gave me three results.

Marker (557) on 4/30/2012 1:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Excellent. Thanks!