🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Suggestions > Browsing games by original year of release?

The cranky hermit (2926) on 9/6/2017 11:46 AM · Permalink · Report

So here's a common problem I have. Suppose I want a list of Wii U games that came out in 2015. The game browser will show me them, but they'll be buried under a giant pile of Virtual Console releases of old games, with no simple way to discern the actual Wii U games that I wanted to find.

So my thought on a solution; what if there was an option to browse by "original year," filtering the list only to games whose earliest release, regardless of platform, were in that year? That would solve my initial problem. It would also open some interesting corner cases. For instance, "Platform=Wii U, Original year=1983" would mean "select all games with an earliest release of 1983 that eventually got a Wii U release." And "Platform=Wii U, Year=2015, Original year=1983" would mean "select all games with an earliest release of 1983 that got a Wii U release in 2015."

Simon Carless (1834) on 9/10/2017 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

We've discussed having Virtual Console games and re-releases actually split out on the browser somehow, yep. Will be an issue for our new (Phoenix) interface but I think it's a reasonable suggestion!

Plok (214122) on 9/10/2017 3:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

While on the topic, if you search anything by year, you'll more often than not get re-releases mixed in with games that were actually released that year (as in, games by the same devs and on the same platform, just re-released). This is a worthless occurence that doesn't contribute to the search feature in any way (who even searches for re-release dates when looking up games anyway?) and just clogs up the results.