🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Suggestions > Adding scores from this book: Essential Guide to Videogames (Future)

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 3/1/2018 3:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Howdy folks,

I read this site mostly for reviews of old games. I have this book at home, The Essential Guide to Videogames, edited by Emma Parkinson, and written by Future journalists such as Tony Mott and Gary Penn.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guide-Videogames-Future-Magazines/dp/1842223798

It features more than a thousand reviews, most of them of games between 1995 and 2001, but also dozens of older classics.

What I was wondering was, if it would be a good idea for me to add (some of) these reviews to the database. What do you think?

Victor Vance (18100) on 3/1/2018 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

In my opinion these reviews belong here, but before you start adding them we should figure out first how to treat this source. Shall it be the book itself, the author, the publishing house, ...?

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 3/1/2018 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I would say simply the book. There are many authors to this book. The publishing house I don't know much about, but there is a connection to Future, which publishes many computer game magazines (like Edge).

Rwolf (22823) on 3/1/2018 11:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, there might be some reviews in the book that are already on Mobygames, if they also were published in game magazines; adding duplicates could skew the score rankings, so some care should be taken, IMO.

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 3/2/2018 2:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Indeed... hence I've been looking through many, many reviews to see if there are duplicates of any sort. So far, none.

I also checked to see if the reviews were from Edge, CVG, or Games Master, but again, no match.

It seems like all these reviews have been made especially for the book.

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 3/7/2018 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

What's really neat is that there are 150 reviews of older games. I'll write them down here so I can easily copy paste them later if/when this book is added to the database.

Computer Space (arcade), score: 5 After he'd created the first stand-alone arcade videogame, Bushnell discovered that Computer Space was far too complicated for the average punter, and it failed to sell.

Pong (arcade), score: 7 Pong involved nothing more than batting a small dot between two paddles controlled by a pair of dials, but it caught on, sparking a videogame craze across the world and sowing the seeds of a new entertainment medium

Space Invaders (arcade), score: 8 Although by no means the first coin-op videogame, Taito's mesmerising classic defined a new gaming genre and in the process became a convenient byword for the booming electronic entertainment industry.

Asteroids (arcade), score: 9 Graceful, almost balletic, zero-gravity shoot-'em-up. The controls are smooth and intuitive, and an analogue synth booms away spookily in the background, intended to represent your increasing heartbeat.

Galaxian (arcade), score: 8 This time the aliens don't march towards the bottom of the screen - instead they peel off and attack in waves. Features a colour display - previously games relied on stripes of coloured acetate to jazz up monochrome graphics.

Battlezone (arcade), score: 9 A tank simulator set on a strange world filled with alien tanks, flying saucers and angular blocks for hiding behind. The shock of seeing a crack spread across the screen after you get shot is a classic videogaming moment.

Defender (arcade), score: 10 The greatest shoot-'em-up of all time? Certainly nothing else could touch Defender wen it came to heart-stopping action and hardcore difficulty. Satisfyingly meaty analogue sound effects, huge explosions and perfectly refined gameplay. Utterly unbeatable.

Pac-Man (arcade), score: 10 The most enduringly popular arcade game start the most unlikely of heroes - a faceless yellow blob designed to look like a pizza with a slice removed. It's a simple concept, with just one maze, four enemies, and 240 dots to feed into Pac-Man's gaping maw, and it hasn't stopped selling since.

Missile Command (arcade), score: 9 The object of the game is to defend three cities from nuclear attack. The computer always wins in the end.

Moon Cresta (arcade), score: 8 Moon Cresta propelled shoot-'em-ups to a new level of sophistication, introducing a ship that could be built up in three stages by docking two smaller craft with a huge base unit. The finished item was one of the largest and most destructive forces ever seen in an arcade.

Tempest (arcade), score: 9 Now one of the most collectable arcade machines, Tempest has received gameplay upgrades from talented enthusiasts and two outstanding modern updates courtesy of Jeff Minter.

Gorf, (arcade), score: 8 An impressive cabinet included a chunky flight stick instead of the usual ball-top joystick, and a series of lights to counter your rank - from Space Cadet all the way to Space Avenger - each time the final mothership was destroyed.

Scramble (arcade), score: 9 The ship is equipped with bombs as well as a cannon, and it burns fuel at an alarming rate - forget to bomb the fuel tanks on the ground and it will simply fall out of the air. Challenging and enjoyable.

Pole Position (arcade), score: 8 The great granddaddy of current driving games, with its detailed graphics and fast 3D road. There's only one track - the Fuji GP circuit - and one type of car, but Pole Position was so far ahead of the competition that nobody really cared.

Sinistar (arcade), score: 8 Rock-hard space blaster. Shoot asteroids to make Sinibombs - the only thigs that can destroy the giant Sinsistar that hordes of worker drones are manufacturing. Once completed, the Sinistar itself yells insults as it pursues the player.

yellowshirt (1583) on 3/8/2018 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Are those single sentences the "reviews" it talked about?

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 3/9/2018 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

For the classic games (8/16 bit and earlier) the reviews are usually about 200 words long; or about 2/3 paragraphs long. Unfortunately, most of this space is spent describing the game factually. I mostly stuck to the opinionated parts for what I wrote in this thread. This is sometimes only a sentence long. I still think these (short) reviews are worth adding to the database because a lot of older games don't have enough scores.

Spaghetti Cat on 5/11/2018 4:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I just want to say how impressed I am by your dedication to go to such lengths and add so much information about long forgotten games, and how grateful I am that the retro community includes members such as you.

Robert DeMeijer (99) on 5/24/2018 10:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, Spaghetti Cat, but I'm still waiting/hoping for somebody to let me add the information to the website.

Alaka (106097) on 5/24/2018 5:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Add the Computer Space review here. If the source gets approved you can add the others.