🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Suggestions > Create a Publisher Code field under "Product Codes" (catalogue numbers)

HOTHEAD_ (14) on 12/27/2018 3:22 AM · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,10/dgm,229655/

There was a previous topic for this which died off two years ago without getting enough discussion, I feel.

I think that publisher codes are generally much easier to verify than codes prescribed by national organisations, and their terse form makes them easier to memorise if need be. Since they're created by the circle/publisher they also have, in my opinion, more inherent value. Nintendo catalogue codes are famous for hinting towards code/development names for their hardware, and with the standard [letter]-[number] format, you could even be clued as to whether any last-minute revisions occurred before the product was released proper. All of these factors along with the site's mission to be a comprehensive game database make the value of a general product code field obvious in my opinion.

As things are, "Release comments" seems to nearly make a suitable field for it, but the usage guidelines imply that it can only be used for miscellaneous data.

JayFoxRox (51) on 1/12/2019 5:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Nintendo catalogue codes are famous for hinting towards code/development names for their hardware, and with the standard [letter]-[number] format

This is basically what a Sony PN seems to be, too. And Sony PN are already supported.

With Sony PN being listed seperately, I think we should also list the others separately. Otherwise you get a lot of "key": "value" variations which get meaningless because of subjective interpretation (like I've seen for some "Alternative Titles"). Freeform fields might be a fallback option, but there should at least be a suggestion box, like for "Developed by" or "Published by" fields.

I think this is also somewhat related to my existing post for Xbox Title ID or mastering codes: https://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,10/dgm,245167/ Even for these numbering scheme there's trade-offs. Does MobyGame want to list unique discs [cover scans]? game titles [game list]? game versions [patch info + release info]? There's hint MobyGame wants to do some of these things, but there isn't a standardized way to connect all parts in a meaningful way.

There's also another code for Xbox: A Microsoft part number, but I believe every single production item can have a different one (game manual, game plastic case, cover artwork, game disc, controllers, console case, parts of console, ...); - just too many codes per product! I'm not sure how suitable such codes would be for MobyGames, but I might start a discussion in the future.

But yes, I agree that Nintendo product codes should be looked into, and also possibly part numbers of big software publishers, like the EA part numbers. I just think that they should be requested individually with a small discussion as to what they represent, why they might not be suitable for MobyGames, etc.

(Fortunately, many of these things can be automated / auto-collected in the future, with database matching or image analysis on cover-art; so unless data isn't obviously visible, it's not too critical)