Forums > Find a game > Old sci-fi top-down run-and-gun shooter for DOS

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 3/3/2014 5:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm probably just having a huge brain fart here - this isn't really an obscure game, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on MG before, but I can't bloody remember the title for the life of me, and for some reason the game browser isn't helping.

Here's what I recall:

• It's a DOS game with CGA/EGA(?) graphics (maybe VGA too) and incessant PC squealer music. I know I first played it on a friend's 286 w/CGA. The timeframe should be around 1988-1992, but I could be wrong.
  • It's a top-down, run-and-gun type of deal with vertical scrolling, set on an alien planet where you shoot icky monster-type enemies. I recall the graphics (at least in the first stage) being reddish-brown and kind of Martian-looking. The closest comparison would be Commando crossed with Alien Syndrome.
  • If I remember correctly, it sort of has an ecological message, with a weird backstory about an environmental disaster or pollution on the planet which created all those mutated monsters out of garbage and industrial waste, or some B-movie stuff like that. The manual had b&w line-art drawings of different disgusting enemies and little writeups about them.

The game probably existed on other platforms besides DOS... it's the sort of title that might have also had a far superior Amiga release.

anyone volunteer to refresh my memory?

BostonGeorge (751) on 3/3/2014 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Have you tried Alien Breed?

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/425/Alien+Breed.html

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 3/3/2014 9:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's not it - the game I'm talking about is a little bit earlier (with older-looking graphics) and the environments are more outdoors-y, at least in the parts I remember. It has a similar style of gameplay... although I think it only (or mainly) scrolls vertically.

666gonzo666 (67769) on 3/3/2014 10:02 PM · Permalink · Report

ikari warriors II victory road?

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 3/4/2014 12:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Nah - I know and love the Ikari games, and it's not one of them. Also, I could be wrong, but I think it came out a while after booters stopped being hip.

MrFlibble (18234) on 3/5/2014 10:04 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vile_r wrote--]Here's what I recall:

• It's a DOS game with CGA/EGA(?) graphics (maybe VGA too) and incessant PC squealer music. I know I first played it on a friend's 286 w/CGA. The timeframe should be around 1988-1992, but I could be wrong.
  • It's a top-down, run-and-gun type of deal with vertical scrolling, set on an alien planet where you shoot icky monster-type enemies. I recall the graphics (at least in the first stage) being reddish-brown and kind of Martian-looking. The closest comparison would be Commando crossed with Alien Syndrome.
  • If I remember correctly, it sort of has an ecological message, with a weird backstory about an environmental disaster or pollution on the planet which created all those mutated monsters out of garbage and industrial waste, or some B-movie stuff like that. The manual had b&w line-art drawings of different disgusting enemies and little writeups about them.

[/Q --end vile_r wrote--] This sounds a bit like Total Carnage.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 3/5/2014 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope, that's not it either. :( The one I'm thinking of had slightly more primitive graphics, and was more clearly set on an actual alien planet.
The strangest thing is that I actually remember a short loop of the music very well - maybe it would ring a bell for someone if I got the computer to "hum" it...

chirinea (47496) on 3/12/2014 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

The Chaos Engine came to me while reading your description, though it probably isn't it.