🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Find a game > PC/DOS, Pre-2001 Dungeon Master like game

Ketrel Smith on 7/4/2015 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Platform(s): PC/DOS

Genre: RPG/Roguelike/Dungeon Master/Dungeon Crawler

Estimated year of release: Unsure but pre 2001

Graphics/art style: VERY similar to Dungeon Master

View: First Person

Notable characters: Bats and Orcs (I think there may have been a kid, or young orc), and I remember hooded enemies

Notable gameplay mechanics: I can't think of anything specific (though, and this isn't even 50%, there may have been a portrait that showed damage similar to the face portrait in Doom)

I do not believe there was a party. I think you were solo. (not 100%, but I really don't remember a party at all)

Other details:

It had trap doors, false walls, strawberries, vials of potions

<hr />

It looked like it was likely based on or a clone of Dungeon Master, but I'm fairly certain it was solo, and not a group.

<hr />

I know I played it prior to High School which I started in 2001.

<hr />

I remember there being vials you could find on the ground (and I think the word 'vial' was used, but I'm not 100% on this)

<hr />

I also have a strong memory of within the dungeon there being a bright grassy room that had a lot of strawberries lying around.

The strawberry thing is the one thing that I'm 100% on. You could eat them, and you could actually see the item on the ground.

Additionally, there was a second quest which started you on a space station instead of a dungeon with a HAL like computer (red dot) which was actually named HAL.

Games already ruled out: Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic, Hexx, Heretic, Catacomb, Dungeon Hack, Amulets & Armor, Shadowcaster

I've poured through old Shareware compilation CDs I still have as well as here, abandonia, and dosgames. There's a good chance it was also something downloadable too, as I might not have gotten it from a CD.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/8/2015 4:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Anvil of Dawn?

Stonekeep?

Ketrel Smith on 7/9/2015 6:20 AM · Permalink · Report

No, both of them have too complex graphics, and neither have the space station thing with the HAL computer.

Rola (8483) on 7/10/2015 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I assume it's something not listed here.

You said "second quest", as if it was a separately launched scenario?

Ketrel Smith on 7/11/2015 6:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't remember specifically how it was launched, but it wasn't a level. I think it was a selector of some sort, but it was definitely a choice.

And I've been through every game for PC/DOS (on Moby) under sane searches from 1986-2001 (As I know for sure I played it prior to 2001)

Rola (8483) on 7/11/2015 1:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe it's some forgotten shareware game... sometimes browsing Archive.org is the last resort

Ketrel Smith on 7/17/2015 3:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Unfortunately it's none of those.

One thing though, it definitely didn't have any view mode other than 1st person, so anything else like Albion wouldn't fit either.

(and it was both a space station and a dungeon depending on mode, not just one)