🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Bugs > moby-tag bug in some descriptions

Rwolf (22823) on 2/2/2018 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I just looked through the descriptions in a game bundle that I documented some years ago: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/50-great-games-plus-knights-of-the-sky

I noted that one of the links used in the description did not work - for the game 'towers' it only lists the platform when clicking the link. In the actual description, the game name looks correct though, so I don't know how to correct it?

It also looks like some of the explicit game&platform tags I have provided in the description only leads to a quick-search for the game name?

Cavalary (11445) on 2/2/2018 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Those that show search links are due to the moby tags having the slugs instead of the game names it would seem. And I'm a bit surprised that some game+platform links actually work, was under the impression that a long-time bug always made that just link to the platform.

Foxhack (32100) on 2/3/2018 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't even know about that bug. I recall using platforms back in the day but I forget why someone told me to not use them anymore...

Cavalary (11445) on 2/3/2018 2:44 AM · Permalink · Report

May have been fixed, because I see Towers also has the slug instead of name, so it just removes the data it can't peg to an actual game in the database and is left with the rest, which is just the platform.

Rwolf (22823) on 2/3/2018 12:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

...excuse me, but what do you mean with 'slug' in this case?

The link below seems a possible explanation, but it is rather vague I think...e.g. the underscore might be the slug, but any other character used, e.g. a hyphen, could also be a slug, so what to do?

https://www.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/help-support/what-is-a-slug/

(The term to me otherwise means either a projectile for a shotgun, or a snail without a shell, and I don't see either here).

Cavalary (11445) on 2/3/2018 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, I'm using the WordPress name. Not sure how it's called on MG... Tag? Referring to what the system puts in the URL from the game name, like, as it is in that description, "commander-keen-keen-dreams" instead of "Commander Keen: Keen Dreams", or, as in case of that Towers, "towers_".

Rwolf (22823) on 2/3/2018 2:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, I learn something new every day.

Hmm...I guess in coding it would be something like a macro, expanded to something larger.

Kabushi (261204) on 2/3/2018 3:46 PM · Permalink · Report

That's called an "alias" on the MG back end