🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Bugs > New games without company not possible

Rebound Boy (20087) on 8/13/2003 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not possible to enter new games that do not have any company attached (you have to enter at least one company name). That's a major bug, because it prevents many freeware/shareware games to be entered.

MAT (240968) on 8/13/2003 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Not quite. Imagine if people would start entering games even if they would know only game title and release year and nothing else. The whole database would go haywire. This is one of the necessary restrictions to know while adding games, as well as release date.

Hey, I was entering my freeware game couple of years back, and I had to come up with some company name in order to enter the game into database, lol.

However, I've spotted several older games long ago added into the database that do not have developer nor publisher entered. Hmm, I guess Brian didn't thought of that with code updates, that some older already entered were left without company at all.

Rebound Boy (20087) on 8/13/2003 8:10 PM · Permalink · Report

If there is no company to enter, there is no company to enter. Quite simple I think...

Jeanne (75944) on 8/13/2003 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I had that problem with a game that was developed and published by an individual person .. it took it, so it's without one.

The game was Xiama by Peter Hewitt
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,5041/

I had thought about making something up ... like Peter Hewitt Creations ... but didn't.

Rebound Boy (20087) on 8/13/2003 9:50 PM · Permalink · Report

It doesn't work for me. I entered release year and month plus release country, clicked next but the engine returned with an error message demanding that at least one company (role) should be entered. The game is for the Windows platform, if that matters somehow.

MAT (240968) on 8/13/2003 11:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I believe newer engine doesn't allow game entry without at least either a developer or publisher company. Older engine version might've allowed it, though. But then again, I entered Solver almost 2 years ago and engine still wouldn't allow me to miss a company.

Brian Hirt (10409) on 9/4/2003 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

You are correct, they used to be allowed.

MAT (240968) on 8/13/2003 11:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, but you must think a bit farther ahead. Even if there would be company to add, people would just skip it without trying to find out developer and/or publisher on many occasions. As much as it would open the gate for freeware without companies, as much it would open the gate for more trashy incomplete game entries.

Rebound Boy (20087) on 8/14/2003 9:09 AM · Permalink · Report

It's the job of an approver to prevent this. It can already happen with the current system. There could be 5 company roles for a game, and somebody only enters 1 because he/she doesn't care. The approver has to review the contribution and WIP or reject it if it's incomplete!

MAT (240968) on 8/14/2003 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, I believe I might've a solution to this. Perhaps if contributor marks "freeware" prior to company entry, the engine may allow it to be omitted. But that would be on Brian to add, though.

Brian Hirt (10409) on 9/4/2003 9:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I've know about this for a while, but it's been low on the priority list (meaning i keep forgetting to fix it)

I've submitted a request to [email protected] and hopefully will have it resolved once more criticals issues are fixed.