🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > A lifetime achievement

chirinea (47495) on 1/11/2009 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

An so the day has come. The day when a MobyUser finally broke the 5 digit barrier. Sciere just broke into the 100,000 points in the same year MobyGames completes 10 years of existence. This is no small feat, we all know that. Here's what some of our members said about Sciere and his amazing achievement (in no particular order)...

Corn Popper (69027) on 1/11/2009 2:31 PM · Permalink · Report

"When MobyGames was first starting out, I chose screenshots carefully; I wrote reviews of moderate length; I retouched my scans. I laboriously entered credits and company information. Essentially, I presented myself as the best example of a gaming historian interested in contributing to the project, in hopes that others would follow in my footsteps. The hope of any father is that their offspring exceed the capabilities of their parents, and with Sciere hitting 100K points, I think my ass has been thoroughly kicked ten times over -- which makes me quite the proud father! Sciere's dedication shows he is truly the gamer's historian, as his company and release info work is among the most important information contained in MobyGames. I am both honored and humbled by his dedication to MobyGames, and his contributions to the entire gaming community."

• Trixter, MobyGames founder
  • "A great achievement by a great person. Stijn is not only the highest ranked contributor on Moby but he's also the highest ranked friend to many contributors. His words of guidance and examples he's set as a contributor and all around Moby Games frontman are a method to the way this site should be looked after. It's because of the way he communicates fairly and justly with every contributor no matter how Picardian they may get and because of the high quality of his contributions are many of us contributing in a positive way to the site. I firmly believe it's because of contributors like him that make this site different and that make it respectable. A fantastic achievement to a great guy. Congratulations Stijn, and thanks for everything. Now go and do something productive..."

• Depeche Mike Isguder, MobyGames approver
  • "Hey buddy, thanks to you I have one of the best games ever in my collection. Yup, "Fahrenheit", indeed. Did you try to reply that, ahem, girlfriend scene. Whow, you were a busy little beaver to have reached 100K, amazing. Ah well, as someone who was the frst one to reach 10K, I salute you... although it's been a while, I forgot if I was actually the first one to have broken 10K, eh eh. Years are catching up with everyone I guess. Luckily, not as fast as the points. Oh, one more thing, if you still haven't played that MGS3 I've been bugging you for years to try, you should give half of your points to charity for neglecting a masterpiece. Now, let's see who's up for the million."

• MAT, MobyGames approver
  • "Sciere, arguebly the most googled person in Belgium (after googling where exactly in Europe, Belgium actually is) by sighing teenaged girls who has since then been contaminated by console gaming. This handsome member of the MobyGames inner circle (only by a small margin in good looks, compared to yours truly) has since then showed astounding levels of ambition (or way too much free time), and thus has finally reached the summit of 100,000 MG points where no nerd has ever reached before....consequently inviting both envy and admiration among his peers, especially those who has since been quite fascinated by joysticks....er. We humbly convey our sincere salutations and congratulations to Sciere, on behalf of the Republic of Indonesia, SE Asia and Game Pirates United. Yay!!!"

• Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari, MobyGames approver and resident wacko
  • "I join the deafening chorus of congratulations with the following words. Obviously, Sciere's work for MobyGames is beyond awesome. And I'm not just talking of his contributions, approver's work and admin duties. I think that his greatest achievement for this site is the gigawatts of inspiration he radiates around him. Just like the banner on the battlefield his Belgian flag continuously encouraged us, gave us will and convinced that even the impossible is quite manageable once you become really passionate about something and committed to a worthy a cause. And, lest we forget, that regardless of his demi-god status, throughout these years he still managed to be supportive, helpful, considerate and simply a cool guy to be around with. If that doesn't make him a perfect leader for this project and community I don't what does and who is. So, my cordial congratulations to you, Sciere, and here is to another 100k and hundreds of new contributors eager to dethrone you. Cheers!"

• St Martyne, MobyGames contributor
  • "In the year 2003 a quiet Belgian who humbly nicknamed himself "Useless" joined MobyGames. About a year afterwards, when the newly nicknamed Sciere was only somewhere in the middle of Top 50 Contributors ladder, MobyGames veteran contributor MAT has proved himself a prophet by saying: "Sciere will be the Top Contributor some day. And he will stay there". And so indeed it happened. From an unknown user to a contributing mega-machine, super-approver and eventually one of the admins, the Big Brothers of this site: Sciere has scored 100, 000 contribution points. One. Hundred. Thousand. We can just sit there in awe with our mouths wide open, or we can applaud this man, who has done the almost unbelievable!"

• JazzOleg, MobyGames approver
  • "Congratulations on being king of the Top Contributors list."

• Black Wolf, MobyGames approver
  • "Sciere's constant contributions to the site are hugely impressive, detailing obscure games in fine detail. He's kept me off the top, which is probably good for everyone."

• Martin Smith, MobyGames approver
  • "For the love of God! When will you stop? You are making me feel so small and insignificant."

• Dancin' Fool, MobyGames contributor
  • "Sciere, congrats on the 100,000 points. Your hard work and dedication to the site is greatly appreciated. I'm still in awe of how you find the time to contribute all that info to the database. Keep up the amazing work."

• ALAKA, MobyGames approver
  • "Sciere has been an amazing contributor and a great help ever since I've been contributing to Moby. Always willing to help if you've got a question, and an all-round good guy too! Congrats Sciere!"

• Ben K, MobyGames approver
  • "When normal people think about Belgium they think about chocolate, beer and maybe a criminal who kidnapped and murdered children. Those who are a bit more interested in Belgium may think about the conflict between Flanders and Wallonia. Those interested in comics think about Lucky Luke and the Smurfs. But any of us who waste their precious time with Mobygames, the game documentation and review project, think about something else: Stijn Bolle, better known as Sciere. Sciere is now the first one who has hit 100000 points in the history of this site. Not only is Sciere an excellent contributor with high quality submissions, he is an approver and admin, responsible for 20% of all approvals in the last year, too. On the personal level, as far as one can say anything about somebody you barely know, he is a nice guy and not an arrogant bastard: always willing to help other users and always willing to participate in discussions. So congratulations to the 100000points, Sciere. Without you and your contributions Mobygames would suffer from a huge gap."

• Wizo, MobyGames approver
  • "This insane number of points speaks volumes about Sciere's dedication to this site. He is a crusader for the indies (you can be sure the latest quirky and charming low- to no-budget title will be on the site quickly), but will also add the latest multi-million-dollar blockbuster if no one else will. Since becoming an admin, he is always willing to help out if you need something done quick. He also fights to get new platforms in, which isn't easy, as some contributors know. So how does he do it all, in addition to also actually playing games (not to mention getting some real work done)? Rumours of him being a robot could not be substantiated. It's actually his amazing super-power of only needing four hours of sleep a night. Yes, I'm envious!"

• Terok Nor, MobyGames approver
  • "He's somehow found a way to squeeze at least 30 hrs out of the day, which explains how he's able to do so much Moby stuff and still maintain some semblance of a life. =)"

• Freeman, MobyGames approver
  • "Congratulations, Sciere! Thanks for all your contributions to the internet's most important games database. And thanks for showing us all that dreams really can come true, that it IS possible to attain a 6-figure point total!"

• Multimedia Mike, MobyGames approver
  • It's just great to have him around to help out with admin items and regular approvals on top of contributing a ton of stuff. I often wonder if he actually has a real job to pay the bills because he helps out here so much. I know he sleeps... sometimes at least. He provides great coverage as admin because when I'm sleeping he provides coverage for admin items that need taking care of. In any case... a big thanks.

• Corn Popper, MobyGames administrator
  • There's not much left for me to say about him, but I wanted to thank him for being such a nice guy to me in my starting days as an approver. I guess it must be wonderful to his students to have him as a teacher. That's what he's been to all of us all this time, a great teacher. Thank you, Sciere!

-- Guilherme

Sciere (930489) on 1/11/2009 3:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

What a pleasant and unexpected surprise! This is just too much... I was actually speechless and a bit emotional...

As humble of a community we are, because our of standards, compared to the contribution force of other archiving projects, I haven't regretted a minute spent here with people as diverse, mature and knowledgeable as you all are, putting in so much work to document the passion we share. There simply isn't a second place like this on the net. Not to mention all the wonderful games I got to know through everyone here.

From now on, I'll also try to focus a bit more on the admin site of things, trying to resolve problems more quickly and grinding the queues (and preferably oldest items first even though the newer ones are always more tempting =)

Free beers for all of you if we ever get to meet!

Thanks guys!

Servo (57070) on 1/11/2009 4:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations, Sciere! Truly awesome work (and I'm in awe of how much time and effort this must have taken on top of all the approving and admin tasks which don't earn points)! I had been meaning to write up a short blurb too, but < excuse > between not being around for the holidays and my general slow writing process, you snuck past the mark before I even had the first sentence done! < /excuse >. In short, WOW! I'm really glad you've been able to contribute so much to the project!

robotriot (9015) on 1/11/2009 6:28 PM · Permalink · Report

100.000 points GET!

Awesome man, congrats!

Sciere (930489) on 1/11/2009 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Uh oh, /b/ alert =)

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/11/2009 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

"In the year 2003 a quiet Belgian who humbly nicknamed himself "Useless" joined MobyGames."

Now that's a hilarious bit of trivia I am sure not many newbies were aware of!

I giggled and I might have been heard by other people were they in the position of close proximity relative to my current location.

vicrabb (7272) on 1/12/2009 7:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Proficiaat Sciere! FĂ©licitations!

beetle120 (2415) on 1/12/2009 11:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I was invited to write one of the testimonials for you Sciere but I couldn't find the words to describe the amazing effort that you have put in to this site, that 100,000 points achievement is only a fraction of the effort that you put in. Every day I see you doing heaps of Admin work at lighting fast speeds that go unrewarded in points but definitely acknowledged by the Mobypeople. You truly deserve the title of MobyGod, Well done.

And a Big Thanks to all the Admin, their effort may not be seen by the points next to there name but this site would not exist with out all of you.

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/11/2009 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know how I could possibly add to this paean of excellence - Sciere is just awesome, kind, knowledgeable, dedicated, seemingly has infinite patience, and is utterly worthy of a million toasts with Belgian beer! I hope there will be many more years and many more points!

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/11/2009 4:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Pfft, big deal...

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/11/2009 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Just kidding. Truly outstanding work in every area. Congratulations!

Sicarius (61518) on 1/11/2009 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]Sciere is just awesome[/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]

There's just nothing more to add :). Congrats!

Apogee IV (2275) on 1/11/2009 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Great job!

vedder (70795) on 1/11/2009 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/11/2009 6:15 PM · Permalink · Report

WOW ! Way to go man !

PolloDiablo (16852) on 1/11/2009 6:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations, and good luck with reaching 200,000 :P

Yearman (29592) on 1/11/2009 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

That's awesome work. Congratulations!

DreinIX (10446) on 1/11/2009 7:24 PM · Permalink · Report

His dedication as a contributor can be seen from his points that have hit the 6 digits and I don’t see this achievement being surpassed any time soon. His dedication as an approver can be seen from ehm, oh wait. I guess contributors do not really know the whole work an approver does but along with Jeanne’s and Oliver’s, Sciere’s name is the name I encounter most of the times on items approved and I don’t think that’s coincidental (not to diminish the work of the other approvers – I understand that it also comes down to what each person submits and in what the approver is specialized in). And of course Sciere’s dedication as an admin (at least a part of it) can be seen from his 24/7 presence on the site. I swear I’ve pm him many times at any imaginable or unimaginable time of day and night and I got a reply in a matter of minutes. But I don’t wanna stay only there. Putting all these aside for a moment Sciere is a person who manages to keep his brain sharp despite sleeping for only 4 hours (as he claimed on a different thread), he has the patience of a mule and above all he never showed any arrogant attitude or treated anyone in an ill-mannered way. So to end my babbling (and bad English), thank you Sciere for not being a jerk and my whole-hearted congratulations on your achievement.

P.S. The pills you take, I want them too and pay in gold.

P.S.2 Man, try getting a 12 hour sleep for once.

Evil Ryu (66052) on 1/11/2009 8:27 PM · Permalink · Report

100,000 points? No comments, dude... Congratulations!!! :-D

coenak (3627) on 1/11/2009 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Great work Sciere! An amazing achievement. You have done so much for this site, it would not be the same without you. Congratulations!

Big John WV (26954) on 1/11/2009 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Huge Congrats to you Sciere, you deserve it. This is indeed a huge day for Mobygames, and here is to another 100K for you Sciere!!!

LepricahnsGold (142745) on 1/11/2009 10:07 PM · Permalink · Report

It is official: Sciere has no life.
    Congrats, dude.

B.L. Stryker (23700) on 1/11/2009 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/12/2009 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Excellent avatar, B.L. Stryker!

B.L. Stryker (23700) on 1/12/2009 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll made similar avatar for your 100k celebration :-)

Foxhack (32100) on 1/12/2009 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]An so the day has come. The day when a MobyUser finally broke the 5 digit barrier. Sciere just broke into the 100,000 points in the same year MobyGames completes 10 years of existence. This is no small feat, we all know that. Here's what some of our members said about Sciere and his amazing achievement (in no particular order)... [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]I can't upload the stupid sound clip I made, but it went something like this:

Holy shit; godlike; unstoppable; wicked sick.

Imagine that being said by a monster truck announcer. :p

Indra was here (20755) on 1/12/2009 5:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]I can't upload the stupid sound clip I made, but it went something like this:

Holy shit; godlike; unstoppable; wicked sick.

Imagine that being said by a monster truck announcer. :p [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] I believe the Interactive Fiction version seems appropriately more hilarious. :p

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/12/2009 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

It's not just 100000, it's 100101. That sounds even more awesome.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/12/2009 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--]It's not just 100000, it's 100101. That sounds even more awesome. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--] Egad. You cracked the code! MobyGames is actually a portal to Zion and Sciere is the next Neo incarnate!

Parf (7873) on 1/12/2009 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Holy crap! 100,000 points is a lot!

Thank you for teaching me everything I know about Mobygames and the approval process! Keep up the good work, and you'll soon reach 200,000 points. :)

gamewarrior (5040) on 1/12/2009 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

That's a great achievement, Sciere. You've approved a lot of my stuff, which I appreciate, as well. For a while, you and I were competing for virtual console game submissions, which I kind of miss. I wish I could meet you sometime although probably unlikely.

Martin Smith (81664) on 1/13/2009 12:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] 100101 [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

37, in other words.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/14/2009 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Martin Smith wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] 100101 [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

37, in other words. [/Q --end Martin Smith wrote--] I knew he wasn't in his twenties. :p

MichaelPalin (1414) on 1/13/2009 3:33 PM · Permalink · Report

And now I find out you have been here for only 5 years!! But with that 25000+ points in the last years I can understand it.

Anyway, thanks for everything, you have an admirer here.

Jeanne (75944) on 1/13/2009 4:05 PM · Permalink · Report

When Sciere first started doing adminstrative duties here, I remember thinking to myself Who IS this guy?. He emerged from the ranks as a solid leader and has kept going .. and going .. and going (energizer bunny style!).

You have my admiration and respect .. the site is at its best with you at the helm!

karttu (5511) on 1/19/2009 3:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Whaat, I completely missed this occasion. Congratulations in any case if a bit late.