🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > PC Engine / TurboGrafx CD platform is fully documented on MobyGames!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/6/2012 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

That's right - all the 408 games for the PC Engine / TurboGrafx CD console have their MobyGames entries now, which officially makes MobyGames the fullest, most comprehensive information source for this platform in the world. It is the largest completed MobyGames platform so far.

What's missing is what our website does not accept: demos without extra content and unreleased prototypes, all of which account for the 20 or so extra "games" you may see on various lists. Every other disc ever released for that console in any region is documented, including unlicensed and all known homebrew games that were released on physical discs.

Without false modesty I want to pat myself on the back, since it was yours truly who contributed the majority of the entries.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped contributing and also approved my submissions. Of particular mention is the incredible work done by Jotaro Raido. Not only did he help me avert mistakes and achieve a high level of accuracy with his valuable advice during approvals - he almost single-handedly filled up our PCE CD database with a vast amount of Japanese credits.

Servo (57070) on 8/6/2012 9:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sweet! Awesome work guys! Especially with all of the Japanese games/credits, information for those can be tough to locate (at least for someone who only speaks English...).

Sciere (930488) on 8/6/2012 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome work!

Kabushi (261204) on 8/6/2012 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Brilliant!

So, how many platforms are complete now and which ones are getting close? I haven't really kept track of this since I mostly work on endless platforms myself.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/6/2012 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Master System is getting close, I think. It's helped by a dearth of text-heavy Japan-exclusive titles.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/7/2012 1:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Genesis/Megadrive is pretty close, as well. There's less than 20 Japanese releases missing, including Meganet games, and probably a small handful of NA and PAL titles.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/16/2012 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

PC-FX is complete.

vedder (70802) on 8/16/2012 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kabushi wrote--]Brilliant!

So, how many platforms are complete now and which ones are getting close? I haven't really kept track of this since I mostly work on endless platforms myself. [/Q --end Kabushi wrote--]

CD-i is pretty much complete, all that's missing is a handful of extremely obscure regional titles for which I cannot find any sources on the Internet other than mentions that they exist.

chirinea (47495) on 8/6/2012 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

That is really awesome, congrats Oleg and all the people involved! I feel good that I did contribute a couple of entries for that platforms.

As for Kabushi's question, I'm almost done with Odyssey²/Videopac and Videopac +. Right now there's just one official game missing and about 20 homebrew/repro releases. When I first started the Odyssey² I contributed about 70% of the platform in a year, but then took a rest which lasted until this year. Now I'm committed to complete it in the next months.

Rola (8483) on 8/7/2012 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

A rare feat indeed, congratulations!

I've started researching a list of how far we are at documenting given platform, but stopped and decided not to show it to you, as the results may be discouraging... (read: we're missing a lot)

Odyssey and Channel F look complete?

I've submitted half of the Casio PV-1000 catalog myself ;D (read: whopping 8 ports!)

chirinea (47495) on 8/7/2012 12:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]A rare feat indeed, congratulations!

I've started researching a list of how far we are at documenting given platform, but stopped and decided not to show it to you, as the results may be discouraging... (read: we're missing a lot) [/Q --end Rola wrote--]Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a list for the ones we have completed.

I'm here thinking that it would be cool to have a page with progress bars with the number of titles we have on file and the total of titles in a given platform. I guess it would be hard to tell how many games were released for some specific platforms, but still, we could have those at least for the ones we knew.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/7/2012 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Just the ports, without any screenshots or other information. Bravo, what an accomplishment.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/7/2012 1:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I'd like to thank everyone who helped contributing and also approved my submissions. Of particular mention is the incredible work done by Jotaro Raido. Not only did he help me avert mistakes and achieve a high level of accuracy with his valuable advice during approvals - he almost single-handedly filled up our PCE CD database with a vast amount of Japanese credits. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Aw, shucks. I'll have to give pretty much all the credit to my sources, though. The countless people who uploaded playthrough videos to Youtube and Nico Video, Gamend, and VGMuseum's ReyVGM, who has been personally assisting me recently with filling in some of the remaining gaps. :)

I have one or two more sets to translate, but beyond that my sources are just about tapped out, so if anyone finds or can get anything that's still missing...send it my way! :) Unfortunately, most of the remaining games are text-heavy Japanese RPGs, simulations, and strategy games. But it couldn't hurt to ask, right? ;)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/7/2012 2:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats Oleg!

Cavalary (11445) on 8/7/2012 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Congrats to you two and to anyone else who contributed.

And yeah, it would be nice to make a list of completed platforms and progress bars for the yet incomplete "dead" ones... the only problem being that some aren't quite as "dead" as one'd think (C64 would be a notable example of that).

chirinea (47495) on 8/7/2012 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

The Videopac and Videopac + aren't quite dead either, a new game was released last week, for instance.

Rola (8483) on 8/7/2012 8:26 AM · Permalink · Report

You really want it? Sometimes knowledge is dangerous. DO NOT LOOK HERE if you're going to be depressed after seeing 10% platform coverage!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aiid7EBLRJyKdGFoLWZsRzBqN3doQjNjWDVUZFQxLUE

In the case of dead platforms, such as certain consoles with product numbers, limited national releases etc. it's quite possible to go near 100%. However, how are we supposed to estimate, say, the number of MSDOS titles? Because we need such number first before we start comparing ourselves.

That's why you shouldn't expect progress bars on this site.

Kabushi (261204) on 8/7/2012 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Be aware that many of those sites doesn't count the same way we do. Some count each release as a game, while some split up compilations into several entries.

Computers are quite hopeless trying to keep track of but for consoles it should be a bit easier.

Rola (8483) on 8/7/2012 3:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure either if some count alternate titles towards that number. As I said above, even getting the estimated number may be next to impossible. These are very rough estimates. I think if we ever score "only" 70-80% of commercially released games for these old platforms that'd be a major achievement.

chirinea (47495) on 8/7/2012 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]These are very rough estimates. [/Q --end Rola wrote--]We could explicit the margin of error for those platforms, but even if we listed only dead consoles (with sporadic new releases) it would be interesting.

Rola (8483) on 8/7/2012 8:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I made that file open for editing. Any of you is welcome to add/correct data.

<hr />

Other statistics: last 6 months gave us 27 new platforms. This resulted in approx. 850 new game entries. Most of them are, of course, ports. On the other hand, most of those platforms are old, rare, and with limited game libraries (esp. when compared to C64, Amiga, Atari etc.).

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/17/2012 2:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just by random chance happened to stumble upon this. It looks like a set of educational games for young children for the PC Engine released in 1993. The guy who put the website up posits that there may be fewer than a hundred copies of each in existence. There's a gap in the JAN codes for them, so there might even be one more that this guy doesn't have.

I've never even heard of these before now, but they seem legit. The collector profiled in this article has some of them.

You're not going to let this omission stand, are you, Oleg? :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2012 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Geocities is blocked in China. Do you think you could add these games yourself?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/21/2012 4:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sure, though I can't guarantee it'll be anytime soon (very busy with work right now). Thankfully, the guy actually included full writeups in Japanese of each game, including screenshots, so writing descriptions will be pretty simple even without the actual games on hand. :)

Game Guesser (28) on 8/21/2012 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Hatsukoi Monogatari

This game (and it's Saturn version) seem to be missing, although the sequel (which was on PC-FX, PS1 and Saturn) is on MB.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2012 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

!!!.. I can't believe I missed it... Especially after going through the lists several times... Will add soon.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/23/2012 10:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Submitted.

The other game is not a sequel - the games are completely unrelated.

Donatello (466) on 8/23/2012 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Excellent, Unicorn, excellent!

Hope to see Playstation 1, my favorite console to get full documentation one day!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/23/2012 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

That's a pretty tall order right there, but I'd love to see that as well. I can't remember if it's the PS1 or PS2 that has the largest global library of any console system, but they're both well into the thousands of titles.

I'd personally like to see the Genesis and SNES finished up, but that'll still be a while. :)

Parf (7873) on 8/24/2012 9:08 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm adding a couple Ps1 games here and there, so given the slow rate that console seems to move in (with new game additions), we'll be done around 2095 or so. ;)