Forums > News > GOG & Steam Summer Sales

MobyReed (325) on 6/19/2014 5:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

GOG is running a summer sale on 700+ DRM free games for up to 90% off. With new bundles appearing daily.

A good chance to get classic games on the cheap! A notable bundle deal for today includes every Leisure Suit Larry game for just $4.37.

Additionally, Steam has started their summer sale with new deals each day!

Patrick Bregger (300054) on 6/28/2014 6:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Now that the Steam sale is almost over, I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed. I did not buy a single game. Of course I already have more games than I would be able to play in ten years, but that never stopped me before...

chirinea (47496) on 6/28/2014 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I bought 3 so far: Rocksmith 2014, Skyrim and System Shock. I'm thinking about buying Shadowrun also.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/28/2014 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

So far I got something on GOG each month since December, when I first could, with PSC introduced, but sat this one out. Have games to play for a good 5-6 years from now and cleared the "get it already!" list a couple of months ago after also getting KB: AP Gold (for $6 in that sale, it's $4 now in flash sales and didn't even install it yet, so another reason to think twice in the future). Plus that last month I grabbed Driftmoon during the sale and only THEN went through reviews, getting pissed at the fact that apparently after the first part it's apparently open Christian proselytism shoved down the players' throats.

So, yeah, jumped at a few things for a while now that I was finally able to, but quickly found out I should think a lot harder before buying anything, and applied that now.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/28/2014 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I picked up a couple of things: Dragon Age: Origins and One Way Heroics. It helps that it's all bought with the monopoly money I got from selling trading cards. Now if only a few nicer deals will pop up so I can spend the rest...

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/30/2014 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

In the end I got four games: the aforementioned Dragon Age: Origins and One Way Heroics, plus The Witcher and The Witcher 2. I'm too busy to play any of them but OWH, just now, but they'll still be there whenever I get some more free time. Hopefully I'll manage it before the next summer sale!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/30/2014 10:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Free time?

Basically I only buy games now in hopes of someday breaking my leg and being laid up for several months.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 6/30/2014 11:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, we can all dream. Thanks to bundles and such, I've got hundreds of games I've never even opened, and more still that I've only tried out long enough to note what type of game it is and whether it seems promising.

As time goes on I notice my preferred length for games going down. Once, multi-hundred-hour RPGs seemed like the pinnacle of gaming. These days, ten minute games seem much more appealing. Which isn't to say that I don't play them for longer at a time, but I'm very cautious about starting something I can't just drop at a moment's notice.

I worry that I'm going to start playing facebook games, one day...

chirinea (47496) on 7/1/2014 3:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Tracy Poff wrote--]As time goes on I notice my preferred length for games going down. Once, multi-hundred-hour RPGs seemed like the pinnacle of gaming. These days, ten minute games seem much more appealing. Which isn't to say that I don't play them for longer at a time, but I'm very cautious about starting something I can't just drop at a moment's notice. [/Q --end Tracy Poff wrote--]I can relate to that. You may imagine the pain it was for me to buy 3 RPGs in this sale, one of them being Skyrim. I've been using How Long to Beat for 3 years now and my criteria to pick a game to play 9 times out of 10 is "the shortest one". The 10th time is when I decide to play something a bit longer, such as those RPGs. 2013 was a beautiful year for me as I managed to end the year with a +20 progress in my Backloggery account, but 2014 isn't looking that good, as I'm with a -6 progress right now after this sale and we still have another sale by the end of the year (and God knows how many interesting Humble Bundle sales in the meantime).

Tracy Poff (2094) on 7/5/2014 8:39 PM · Permalink · Report

2013 was a beautiful year for me as I managed to end the year with a +20 progress in my Backloggery account, but 2014 isn't looking that good, as I'm with a -6 progress right now after this sale and we still have another sale by the end of the year (and God knows how many interesting Humble Bundle sales in the meantime).

This reminded me that I was a bit behind adding my latest acquisitions to my backloggery...

I'm afraid that my backloggery has never had a positive year:

• 2010: -18
  • 2011: -14
  • 2012: -186
  • 2013: -185
  • 2014: -209

In fact, 2014 is on track to be the worst year ever. I'm weak against bundles. And so often a bundle has one game I'm interested in and five I'm not, so this trend is likely to continue. For the past few years, I've been telling myself that this will be the year I make progress on my backlog. You can see how well that has worked out for me.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/30/2014 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

If all you picked up were the bundles of Telltale's Sam & Max and Monkey Island games, you got a great deal. I got... quite a bit more. The Tex Murphy bundle... even Goat Simulator late last night 8)

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 6/29/2014 9:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Bought The Witcher 2 and Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land at the beginning of the sale. I have less free time than I sometimes realize, so I managed to participate in only a couple of community votes. From the few cards I sold however, I did manage to buy Praetorians, one of the first games I've played when I started gaming seriously.

Renat Shagaliev (64) on 6/30/2014 6:38 AM · Permalink · Report

I've bought on Steam Commandos Pack, Deus Ex, The Blackwell Bundle, Omikron, Anachronox, The Journey Down, Vangers, Half-Life Complete, Beyond Divinity, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (RU), Dark Souls RU CIS (for 15 cents). On GOG King of Dragon Pass and Clive Barker's Undying. And now thinking about Thief Classic Collection.

GTramp (81965) on 6/30/2014 10:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Bough a lot of stuff on Steam sale this time, hope I'll get time enough to play it till winter sale. All good games, I will play them eventually, it's just getting to "too many games too little time" situation.

On a side note, there's a new adventure game in World War I setting called Valiant Hearts: The Great War. It's by Ubisoft and it's supposedly quite good, I'm yet to try it. The thing is, it's 699 rubles (about 20 USD) for Russian region in Steam, but someone out there screwed up and for a day or so the price tag was 6,99 (about 20 cents). Of course it became a bestseller in Russia immediately. People bought tens of copies and gave them away to friends and other people. That's how I got my copy too.

Edit: also, Dark Souls was mistakenly sold for 5 (five) rubles for about 15 minutes right in the beginning of Steam sale. That one I didn't catch, unfortunately.

Adzuken (836) on 7/1/2014 2:59 AM · Permalink · Report

I showed very little restraint and bought a number of games. I won't bother to list them all, because I don't remember half of them. My prized pick was the entire Divinity series. I bought Dragon Commander first and enjoyed it enough to check out the other games. I've played several hours into Divine Divinity and am enjoying it. Original Sin was just released, and I've started into that.

I also picked up Consortium, which is a brief game that I quickly completed. It's glitchy, and its plot is so incredibly hokey that it's a shame that it spends so much time developing its corny depiction of the future. I at least enjoy what it sets out to do; focus a game moreso around human interaction than cutscenes and combat.

We'll see if I get around to any of the other games I bought.

vedder (70767) on 7/1/2014 8:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I bought Kairo and a Cyan pack (mainly for Myst V, sadly lacking Myst IV). Already finished Kairo (well I couldn't be bothered with finding all the filler material runes or the rather obtuse bonus puzzles).

Havoc Crow (29831) on 7/1/2014 9:14 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've bought a precious few games: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Stacking, Assassin's Creed, and Hitman: Contracts (with Hitman: Codename 47, because way the promotion worked, the two games were cheaper than just one.) These days, I'm very careful with my spending, both for sake of money and for keeping my collection tidy and my backlog small.

I also ended up getting the free games Magrunner: Dark Pulse and Omerta: City of Gangsters, by accident (clicking the title on the main page automatically added the game to one's collection.)

Cavalary (11445) on 7/1/2014 9:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Speaking of free games, like I assume many thousands of GOG users who have also been around the last time it was free, I ended up with a Torchlight gift code if anyone somehow missed it both times and wants it.

Edit: Code sent.

GTramp (81965) on 7/2/2014 2:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You're giving it away? If so, I'd like to have it.

Gift received. Thanks!