Forums > News > New MobyGoal and Site Updates

MobyReed (325) on 2/18/2016 6:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Now that we've completed the epic 3,500 Amiga games goal, it's time for something new! Today we're kicking off a new MobyGoal of 3,600 Xbox 360 games. As of this posting, we are 222 games away.

We also have the following updates thanks to Tracy!

• Don't require basic genres for compilations
  • Multi-platform approval support added (for approvers)
  • Updated instructions when adding trivia
  • Prevent spurious warnings on editing forum post
  • Allow FTP and telnet URLs in submissions
  • Admins now have the ability to ban users

MAT (240793) on 2/19/2016 2:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MobyReed wrote--] * Don't require basic genres for compilations [/Q --end MobyReed wrote--] Great about basic genre for compilations thing. I wonder if that works also for certain add-ons so we don't have to remove it manually afterwards. There really isn't the real genre for DLCs which basically just add a multiplayer level map or arena, or just a piece of weapon or outfit. Forcing genre of base game doesn't really make it correct, imho. I wonder if that too can be considered without a primary genre, although it would even look better if there'd be "Level/Equippment/Vehicle/etc." main genre selection for all those DLCs that focus on new outfit or add new character, vehicle, to the base game. Okay, adding new vehicle might go under Driving, adding new gun might go under Action, but adding new dress or shield doesn't really have appropriate genre. Neither do many quiz and crossword games which could be considered "strategy" or "simulation", but aren't really 100% either.

[Q --start MobyReed wrote--] * Multi-platform approval support added (for approvers) [/Q --end MobyReed wrote--] Could you elaborate, please? Didn't we always have this? When someone submits multi-platform game entry, you can approve all platforms via checkbox as long as you are the approver for at least one of the platforms of that game. Is this related to something else? If so, I didn't notice it during approvals I did earlier today.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/19/2016 6:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Could you elaborate, please? Didn't we always have this? When someone submits multi-platform game entry, you can approve all platforms via checkbox as long as you are the approver for at least one of the platforms of that game. Is this related to something else? If so, I didn't notice it during approvals I did earlier today.

This is intended as a convenience for approvers who have access to the same queues for a number of different platforms. If, for example, you've got access to several game review queues, you can click the 'game reviews' link under the 'Approve items for multiple platforms' section at the bottom of the approval homepage, and it'll make a queue for you with pending game reviews for every platform you have access to, starting with the oldest item. Easier than clicking a bunch of different queues that have one item each, I hope.

MAT (240793) on 2/19/2016 7:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, this I've noticed and tried today already. It is convenient if you don't care which platform you wish to approve and in which order, but only the content. Not sure how many approvers will actually use this, though, as most of us probably handpick platform and area we wish to approve, mostly knowing which platforms and areas are clogging it so we leave it for later or for someone else. In perfect case scenario, only this new option would exist, forcing us to approve everything in the right order :)

Alaka (106060) on 2/19/2016 11:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I can see it being useful. For example, sometimes you only have time to say approve ranks and getting fed them in the oldest order will bring attention to certain platforms that have been ignored for a long period of time. Nice.

Simon Carless (1835) on 2/19/2016 2:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Reminder: this is part one of the roll-out, and part two (multi-approvals, which I think is perhaps more useful) is next :) After they are both rolled out, we can discuss what is most useful for approvers - maybe on the approver forum!

Patrick Bregger (299943) on 2/19/2016 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

The problem with MobyRanks is that the platform is not mentioned in the submission overview, only after clicking on "edit MobyRank".

Alaka (106060) on 2/19/2016 5:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

True, that's the same issue with queues that cover two platforms like DS/3DS.

Simon Carless (1835) on 2/19/2016 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Wonder if we can just insert that information in ALL approvals somewhere, it might be useful :)

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/21/2016 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

The problem with MobyRanks is that the platform is not mentioned in the submission overview, only after clicking on "edit MobyRank".

I've got a fix for this pending. On all items that have associated platforms, the header will say "Submission Type for Game Name (Platform Name)".

S Olafsson (59654) on 2/21/2016 12:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Great.. for rankings can you have it hyperlink to the platforms review page?

PS on the edit_general page, Goto Game Sheets: reviews will take you to some 'user reviews' page (eg http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/wizball/reviews) rather than the expected http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/wizball/mobyrank which is the default in the user facing interface.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/21/2016 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Great.. for rankings can you have it hyperlink to the platforms review page?

That's impractical, since the header isn't different per-submission-type. However, there's a link on the right that goes to the rankings page for all platforms (view). Would you like me to put one under it linking to the specific platform page (e.g. view (this platform))?

PS on the edit_general page, Goto Game Sheets: reviews will take you to some 'user reviews' page (eg http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/wizball/reviews) rather than the expected http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/wizball/mobyrank which is the default in the user facing interface.

So it does. Probably would be more useful linking to the mobyrank page, since that includes both user and critic reviews.

S Olafsson (59654) on 2/21/2016 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Tracy Poff wrote--]Would you like me to put one under it linking to the specific platform page [/Q --end Tracy Poff wrote--] Yes, I believe that would be a great addition.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/26/2016 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Both of these are done.

Terok Nor (41955) on 2/20/2016 9:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, this is a pretty good incentive. I just looked at the "new platforms" queue and was motivated to finally look at two year-old Neo Geo submissions.

S Olafsson (59654) on 2/20/2016 12:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Looks promising, couple of nitpicks (of course :) )
When you go to the Mobyranks queue, you also get submissions with unapproved sources. It's kind of a catch 22.
Also the Mobyrank approval page does not seem to show the platform for the submission (at least I am unable to determine it), which is kind of inconvenient when you enter such a lumped queue.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/21/2016 3:04 AM · Permalink · Report

When you go to the Mobyranks queue, you also get submissions with unapproved sources. It's kind of a catch 22.

I'll take care of split types properly in the near future, but until then you can put "/splitId,1/" in the URL to make it show only ranks with approved sources.

Simon Carless (1835) on 2/21/2016 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Note: we just pushed another update that has multi-approvals for lots of item types for Approvers. There's a thread on it in the Approvers forum for those who want to discuss!