🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > New Year's resolutions 2023

chirinea (47495) on 1/2/2023 11:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Happy new year! You know the drill, it's that time again when we ask: what are your personal goals for 2023, MobyGames or gaming in general related? Here's our resolutions from last year. What about this year? Let us know in the comments below.

Edwin Drost (9473) on 1/2/2023 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy New year (and a very belated Merry Christmas) to all of you. My New Year resolutions are most likely to submit ALL the obscure, absolutely obscure and the most obscure of all for the C64, ZX Spectrum, etc that I have on my very very large list. Also probably trying to finish one or two first and NOT getting distracted by getting started with other ones. If you know what I mean.

hoeksmas (149545) on 1/2/2023 9:45 PM · Permalink · Report

My 2022 Resolution: "My goal this year, is to get over 1,000 TRS-80 CoCo games on MobyGames (about 600 to go), and add a bunch of VIC-20 games. I have a bunch of 8-bit Atari and TRS-80 games I'd still like to add."

Looks like I just barely surpassed 1,000 TRS-80 CoCo games, but it was a real stretch.

My goal for 2023 is to get through adding VIC-20 games, with my goal of having over 1000 documented. I'd also like to add more Atari and TRS-80 games as I run across them. I'd like to surpass 2000 Atari games, which shouldn't be difficult.

After the VIC-20, I'm really not sure what obscure system to do. TI-99/4A? Dragon? There's a bunch more TRS-80 games I still want to add.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 1/2/2023 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Im gonna finally finish my project, 400-500 games to go. I should have plenty time this year. And ABS as a bonus :)

Deleted (15788) on 1/4/2023 1:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy New Year to all of you!
For 2023, my goals are: to survive, find more time and chances to be with my family and, possibly, learn new skills relevant in the years to come.
As for MobyGames, I don't really have any goals, I'm just adding whatever I think is worth documenting so let's hope I find some more oldies and newbies worth your time to approve! :)

Koterminus (240980) on 1/4/2023 5:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

2023 will be the year I start to wind down my activity here. I've added most of everything I wanted to add and am coming to the end of my personal to-do list. While there's still a lot more games and credits that I could add to that list, I want to get back to some personal projects like finishing the sci-fi/fantasy novel I've been writing for a while. I might also be starting a new career soon that will take up more of my time. We'll see... whatever happens, I will still most likely be around, just less active.

The rest of my to-do list is mostly credits, especially credits for a lot of the games I've been adding, so I guess I'll be focusing on that for now.

hbh zth (6) on 1/7/2023 11:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Why is nobody taking care of contributions (pictures of games, inlay scans etc)? I uploaded stuff 6 months ago and they still pending.

Cavalary (11445) on 1/8/2023 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Does "pictures of games" mean cover art?

If so, really backlogged queue, over 3000 items, oldest going back to Sep 2021.

hoeksmas (149545) on 1/8/2023 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

There's been great progress cleaning up the backlog over the last month or so. I now have 10 pending games instead of nearly 300.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 1/13/2023 12:39 AM · Permalink · Report

PC section looks really bad. Its all because of scrapping entries, moby eats own tail with these.

vedder (70822) on 1/9/2023 8:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I managed to keep my resolution of last year in making a big dent in contributing games from 1979. This year I hope to wrap that up so 1979 is fully covered. This might very well be where this project ends. I didn't quite realize when I started contributing all the oldest games chronologically that it would take me 6+ years to cover everything up to 1980. Grossly underestimated the amount of games released in the 70s! My assumptions at the start had been it would be hundreds of games, not thousands 🙈

On the approval side I've been cleaning up the oldest items in the queues. My aim is to clean up all the 2021 contributions still pending or escalated, but my drive to do approvals usually comes in short bursts. So not sure how far I'll get before I run out of energy again. Obviously there are more hard working approvers tackling these queues, so so far it actually goes faster than I expected it would.

hoeksmas (149545) on 1/25/2023 2:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I sure hope you can keep it up to 1980/81. By that time you'll be heavily into the area where I've added a ton of games.

piltdown_man (236150) on 1/10/2023 3:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I think I am at the stage where I own more games than I can ever play in my lifetime so my resolution should be not to buy any more. Well that's not going to happen! If I see something that's cheap and looks interesting I'm still going to get it. The best I can hope to achieve is to spend more time playing games this year and hence dispose of more games than I acquire.

As for playing games I have a few 'big' games like Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk 2077 as well as the Bioshock series, Dishonored series and some old DOS games like X-Wing that I played back in the day but never finished, just finishing one of these has to be on my 'to do this year' list.

So far I don't have any goals about scoring points or submitting a particular group of games - but that may change

Cavalary (11445) on 1/10/2023 3:44 PM · Permalink · Report

In my case, same old, finish five games and not make it my worst year in terms of contributions.

2022 was failed in terms of games finished, just three if you also count Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Christmas Chronicles as one game, which is questionable. But the first was King of Dragon Pass (the original one), which I've been meaning to give another go to since 2015, when I had last given up, so that's major. Still want to write a review for it though. And the second was an RPG Maker game, The Stuff Fairy Tales Are Made Of, which I submitted here and also did review.
But yeah, bad year in terms of number, also played, not just finished. Not counting a few odd games of Epic Pinball, there were just two other games I played this year, one being Diggles, which I was saying that I meant to finish by the end of the year but which I stopped playing after reaching the third world, so let's see if I'll get back this year, and the other was Fate of the World: Tipping Point, which I for some reason decided to bang my head against again for a while, with the same results as the first time, in 2012-2013, as in just complete the tutorial and then failure after failure till I got fed up.
As for contributions, currently it is the worst year, 251 points, but have 2 pending release info submissions, which if approved would put me over the 254 from 2010, 2020 and 2021. Of course, the years of submitting thousands of critic scores are long gone, and with reviews and ratings of all sorts getting buried now, even less reason to care. And I dread the prospect of even using MG at all in the future, once the beta will replace the current version. MS is currently literally the only site out of those that I typically use that I still feel comfortable using, not being that plagued by rotten "modern" web design aspects, while the beta definitely is.

Cantillon (77080) on 1/13/2023 11:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Some time ago I contributed some credits to an older game, and noticed some different developers were lumped together into the same entry.

I never realized, but once I started to investigate a bit more, this seemed to be the case for a lot of other profiles as well. So last year, I mostly performed cross-checking, comparing developer profiles with their Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, and personal websites.

I am still having fun doing this, so I will continue this work in 2023.

John Smith on 1/29/2023 3:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[spam redacted]