Forums > News > Wii at $250

nullnullnull (1463) on 5/28/2006 6:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I am sure most everyone has heard this by now. Nintendo's announcement that the Wii will at retail and $250 in the US has hit the wires. So you cannot quite get a X360 and a Wii for the same price as a PS3, but it is pretty darn close. Heck at $250 I am definitely going to pick one up. The key to a successful console is to get as many out in the wild as possible. If you are a game developer you want to spend you time ( and money ) making a game for a system that has a lot of owners. There is no reason why a developer should spend $10 million to make a game for system A that has 10 million owners when the developer could make the same game for the same cost for system B with 50 million owners. More owners, more buyers. It is that simple.

What do you think? Can Wii dominate on price alone? More importantly are you going to buy one?

Gonchi (3590) on 5/28/2006 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]More importantly are you going to buy one? [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

No, but I won't be buying any of the others either.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/28/2006 8:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I pretty much expected this. I was going to buy this first, then the PS3 if the price went down, but now that the PS3 is listed as $500 the Wii is the only one I'm getting.

I think the Wii can definitely dominate the market on that price, especially with the many gamers out there that only play it as a hooby. I know a few girls in my school who are getting it because of price alone.

Trixter (8952) on 5/28/2006 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Like any console, it comes down to the games. Since I don't like any Nintendo properties (Mario, etc.) it will come down to whether or not there are any games that look appealing to play.

I usually watch G4's "xplay" tv show (the only thing on G4 worth watching) to keep abreast of games that I might like to play. The only thing I ever saw that appealed to me for GameCube was F-Zero and Sanity's Requiem, and I still don't own those (the gamecube in the house is for the kids to play Link games on)

gamewarrior (5040) on 5/29/2006 6:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]Like any console, it comes down to the games. Since I don't like any Nintendo properties (Mario, etc.) it will come down to whether or not there are any games that look appealing to play. …(the gamecube in the house is for the kids to play Link games on) [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

I will probably end up buying a Wii. Besides, I like Nintendo's properties even though I'm 22 years old. There also seem to be a lot of third party games being developed for the system which wil be geared towards a more mature audience, such as Red Steel.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/28/2006 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Man, no matter how many times I see it, I just can't stand that "Wii" thing. It drives me mad.

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 5/29/2006 2:16 AM · Permalink · Report

I won't be buying any new-generation console. Not anytime soon, anyway. And if I will, it will probably be PS3, still.

n][rvana (1823) on 5/29/2006 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I will eventually get one but my priorities are:

1. PSP
  2. GBA
  3. Xbox 360
  4. NDS
  5. Probably PS3 and Revolution (yep, i still can't get over that ugly name that starts with W), but I will wait at least one year from their launch date (to let price falling and modchip makers do their magic!)

Sciere (923812) on 5/29/2006 6:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games like Sadness are drawing me towards Wii. I think I'll buy one once there are 50 games released or so. I'll probably wait a long time before getting either a PS3 or Xbox 360. I have no interest in having surround sound or a large HD TV, or investing in it. I usually only play a console game for half an hour or so, a few songs in Guitar Hero, a few tracks in SSX, moving an area ahead in FF-X, while saving the full cinematic surround glory and long play sessions for the PC.

Servo (57071) on 5/29/2006 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm definitely buying a Wii; I'm going to wait and see on the Xbox 360 and PS3, though I'll very likely end of buying one of these once there's a price drop (same as I did this generation really).

Zovni (10504) on 5/29/2006 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Any word on how much are the games going to cost? I still can believe how console gamers can shell out 60-70 bucks for "HD" stuff, and last I heard Sony was going the same route...

Purple Haze on 5/30/2006 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Just to clear up, Nintendo said that it won't cost anymore than $250 not that it will cost $250. I've seen a lot of websites make the same mistake. So it is still possible that we will be able to get a 360 and a Wii for the same price as 1 ps3.

EboMike (3094) on 5/31/2006 4:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]Can Wii dominate on price alone? [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

Why "alone"? Now all of a sudden the price is the only factor that matters? What about the new controller?

This is going to be my first Nintendo ever. I have never liked Nintendo's image (and trust me, developing a cutesy kiddie game for the Gameboy was NOT fun), but the controller is too cool to pass on. And at that price, it's worth experimenting.