Forums > News > To space ... and beyond

nullnullnull (1463) on 6/8/2006 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I got into Computer Science because way back when I was in school Mechanical Engineering had a lot of drafting and my drawing skills blow. I have however always been fascinated with aerospace and aviation. At one time as a kid I always envisioned myself working on satellites or rockets.

In addition to being responsible for the technical wizardry behind Doom 3, John Carmack spends part of each weekend making rockets. I mean real honest to goodness space vehicles. John Carmack leads in their own words, "a small research and development team working on computer-controlled LOX/ethanol rocket vehicles, with an eye towards manned suborbital vehicle development" called Armadillo Aerospace. What is also quite remarkable is that Carmack candidly documents the groups progress kind of monthly on the companies website. I find myself regularly drawn to his postings. In an industry notorious for secrecy is there a place for this level of openness or is Armadillo Aerospace just an indulgence of a rather wealthy technologist?

Trixter (8952) on 6/8/2006 11:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I think a bit of the latter, but indulgence might be too strong a word. Maybe he's just like you (space hobbyist), but my gut feeling is that he wants to be remembered in two hundred years. While you could debate that Doom might still be brought up 200 years from now, more likely a suborbital transport company will be more frequently mentioned (or utilized!).

Riamus (8480) on 6/8/2006 11:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know... we may have DOOM 21 by then and it'll be played in that space station. :D

Belboz (6512) on 6/9/2006 12:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--]I think a bit of the latter, but indulgence might be too strong a word. Maybe he's just like you (space hobbyist), but my gut feeling is that he wants to be remembered in two hundred years. While you could debate that Doom might still be brought up 200 years from now, more likely a suborbital transport company will be more frequently mentioned (or utilized!). [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

This is actually pretty interesting. When I mention Zork today, people have no idea what I'm talking about! Imagine in 200 years...

Terok Nor (41733) on 6/9/2006 12:44 AM · Permalink · Report

I think the only game still being remembered in 200 years will be Tetris. Unless we have Final Fantasy CXLVII or something by then.

Riamus (8480) on 6/9/2006 4:01 AM · Permalink · Report

There will be more classics... Mario, Pac-man, etc. that are remembered in 200 years, I bet. If any of you decide to live that long, make sure to check and see. :D

Shoddyan (15001) on 6/9/2006 5:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]There will be more classics... Mario, Pac-man, etc. that are remembered in 200 years, I bet. If any of you decide to live that long, make sure to check and see. :D [/Q --end Riamus wrote--]

Actually, what people remember in 200 years will all depend on how long the mobygames.com servers stay up ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 6/11/2006 2:14 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] Actually, what people remember in 200 years will all depend on how long the mobygames.com servers stay up ;) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--] This should be the opening sentence of "Holy Book of MobyGames" :-/

Indra was here (20760) on 6/9/2006 6:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't played a good space/flight simulation game since Privateer 2.

Riamus (8480) on 6/9/2006 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Freespace was a great one. And, for just a plain space games (not sim in any way), Hegemonia and Space Rangers 1 and 2 are some good ones.