Forums > News > Spyware won't be Left Behind when religious game ships.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 6/26/2006 5:36 PM · Permalink · Report

IGN is reporting that Left Behind: Eternal Forces, the video game based on the popular series of Evangelical Christian novels, contains an in-game ad engine sure to be controversial. Double Fusion's engine will not only manage the in-game advertising, but will also report on the player's behavior and collect personal information which will be sent to Double Fusion's servers.

Luis Silva (13444) on 6/26/2006 6:13 PM · Permalink · Report

If they fill in the "player behaviour" as a "parental information gatherer", I'm sure congressmen from that place with the white palace and the huge statue outside a town will love it.

But being honest, who'd buy that game in the first place?

Riamus (8480) on 6/27/2006 4:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I saw previews back before beta and it actually looked like it could be promising. I've not seen it since, however. Keep in mind that even if you're not Christian, many others are and that series was an excellent series regardless if you're religious or not. It was very well written. If the game can portray the series well, then great work. The movie was also very well done, btw.

As for the advertising bit, so what? Don't we already have all of that in other games? As for personal information being collected, we'll have to wait and see what it's really doing and look at the legal mumbo-jumbo. If it's not online-only, then you can always play with it blocked from the internet anyhow.

Trixter (8952) on 7/2/2006 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]that series was an excellent series regardless if you're religious or not. It was very well written. If the game can portray the series well, then great work. The movie was also very well done, btw. [/Q --end Riamus wrote--]

Uh... no. If you're referring to the movie with Kirk Cameron in the starring role, then no, it was not a very well done movie. I saw the movie on the advice of a friend, then started reading the book because I couldn't believe how poor the movie was, and eventually couldn't get 33% through the book. Both were horrible.

The reason the Left Behind books did so well was for their religious content. That's it.

Riamus (8480) on 7/4/2006 3:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Lol. To each his own. I still say they were very good. I'll admit that if you don't know (or follow) Christian or even Jewish religion at all, it may make little to no sense. However, that doesn't mean the movie isn't any good. It just means you need more background to understand it and see the quality of it.

Many movies and books are like that, though often the background you need is stuff that most people already know... but if you happen to not know it, it will confuse you and make it seem like a bad book or movie because you don't know the background. It doesn't mean the story isn't good.

If you can connect to the characters in the story, you will have a hard time putting the books down. If the story can grab you like that, then it's not a bad story. And, it does grab a LOT of people that way, even if it doesn't grab you. :)

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/4/2006 3:53 AM · Permalink · Report

It all depends on what you mean by relgion. If you mean that its trying to stir up debate, or has controverisal meterial, or just something to keep me on my heels I would read it. If the book were about loving God, repecting relgion, and keeping faith, then you'd probably have lost me about 33% of the wya through as well.

Riamus (8480) on 7/4/2006 5:04 AM · Permalink · Report

The books actually do stir up debate and are somewhat controversial as they show a specific possibility for the return of Christ. Not all Christians believe it will happen in the ways mentioned in the books. The story is actually about some very controversial material in the religious "arena" (and out of it).

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/4/2006 5:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe I'll take a look at it then, thanks.

Ironically I think about what it would be like if Christ retunred or if he were cloned from some remaining DNA. I really am sort of scared, not becuase I am an atheist, but because he would easily control 1/3 of the world from his very existence. He would become the most powerful dictator this world has ever seen!

No matter if you think he is upright and moral, it would be very discreet how he would control. Anything he supports would quickly gain power and things he opposed people would hate. So pretty much everything Jesus would hate the world would hate. And I'm pretty sure Jesus isn't too cool about violent video games, or even video games themselves. We would be impossible to stop the world. :-/

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 7/4/2006 12:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Ironically I think about what it would be like if Christ retunred or if he were cloned from some remaining DNA. I really am sort of scared, not becuase I am an atheist, but because he would easily control 1/3 of the world from his very existence. He would become the most powerful dictator this world has ever seen!
[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] That sounds like the storyline of a Japanese NES game :P

Unicorn Lynx (181788) on 7/4/2006 3:48 PM · Permalink · Report

You control Bakayarou Takahana, a high-school student in modern-day Tokyo. One day you encounter a mysterious girl with huge blue eyes and big breasts. She tells you that she is Paula, one of the 12 ancient apostles of the god Jesus Christ. 2000 years ago, Jesus was sealed in Jerusalem. Now an evil American scientist Chuckie McSwine cloned Jesus from his remaining DNA, and uses his influence to control the world.

The game is played like a traditional Japanese RPG, with random encounters and turn-based battles. The final battle takes place in the last dungeon, the big market in Jerusalem's Mea Shearim quarter. Turn left at the potato stand, defeat the evil seller who sells carrots for 10 sheqels per kilo instead of 8, and you'll face McSwine himself. Use Paula's strongest attack, "Damascus Revelation". Near the shawarma stand, you'll meet the final boss, Jesus. Just have Bakayarou attack with his Okashii Seppuku sword. Beware of his deadly attack when he turns all the water in your inventory into wine. He will occasionally walk on the nearby puddle for big damage. Keep in mind that Crucifiction won't work on him, because he'll resurrect himself with full hit points afterwards. Just keep attacking and you'll defeat him. Afterwards, you'll release his soul and everything will return back to normal. Sit back and watch the ending during which you discover that although Paula had so much pleasure having sex with you, she is still a virgin.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 7/4/2006 4:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I wasn't exactly thinking of it that way, but thats very creative.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/4/2006 4:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]You control Bakayarou Takahana, a high-school student in modern-day Tokyo. One day you encounter a mysterious girl with huge blue eyes and big breasts. [...] Sit back and watch the ending during which you discover that although Paula had so much pleasure having sex with you, she is still a virgin. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] I'd like a copy of that one, but only if Bakayarou Takahana is a girl too.