Forums > News > Who wants a trophy?

nullnullnull (1463) on 6/28/2006 2:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Recently Xbox 360 Achievements reported the latest achievements for NCAA 07 Football ( American not the stuff being played in Germany ). My question is, who cares? Do you care that you will get 15 gamer points for throwing four touchdowns in a single game? More importantly do I care that I would get 20 gamer points if I found the Pummel Weed in Kameo? I mean here is a game I will never play ... ever. However, I must confess to being a total Geometry Wars addict. Brian is in New York right now and can attest that I am in the clutches of a deep addiction. It does feel good when I get a new achievement, as few and far between they are right now. Is this something we should be recording? Does achievements enhance the game somehow?

Luis Silva (13444) on 6/28/2006 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

A few games such as Madden 97 and NHL 97 kept playing records such as more racing yards in one case and most goals on other, and me and my brother usually tried to beat each others' records just for the fun of it. If the new thing is reward the player with bragging points, good for them.

Also, compraing with Super Puzzle Fighter, for instance. I knew I started to play the game right after unlocking some of the harder items in the puzzle mode. As long as the game keeps giving stuff to unlock, all the rest are bonuses.

Shoddyan (15001) on 6/29/2006 4:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Videogames have always been about achievement.... for some. For almost a decade, getting one's name on the "high score" list with the largest number was the single goal of dozens of games. Back in the early days of Nintendo (and currently for all I know), Nintendo Power magazine spent at least 2 pages an issue showing off scores that players had sent in.

So for a few... yes, trophies are nice. Some gamers are in it just for that. I'm not. In my own case, I probably won't ever go after a score just for it being a score. But if I'm already having fun playing a game... these kinds of challenges can be appealing ("Hmm, I wonder if I really can throw four touchdowns") and even let you start a friendly competition among your friends to see who can do it first.

The gamer points are just a nice bonus and an extra bit of recognition. Of course, Microsoft is normally selling these, so in fact, Xbox Live gamer points have an actual real world conversion rate. Not that you could ever exchange them back into money. But it would be nice to purchase a new game from Live Arcade or a new unlockable for a current game based off of your achievements.

I'm not sure who that "AAA" guy was who dominated every arcade I went to... but he must have been skilled! :)