Forums > News > Slight policy change on cover art

nullnullnull (1463) on 7/6/2006 3:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Increasingly games have been distributed to customers outside of the traditional retail channels. Game are available for download from the Internet and using ESD packages like Steam. Games for consoles are and increasingly will become available for download from services like Xbox Live Arcade and whatever Sony and Nintendo plan on offering. Cell phone games are almost exclusively available for download.

Historically MobyGames has recorded the cover art of the physical packaging of the games in the database. However many of these games no longer have a physical package. To accurately reflect this we have added a new packaging type:

Electronic Cover Art

Games that this applies to would be games where there is no actual media and packaging. Games like Cell Phone games, Xbox Live, PC games that are only available through download, and other platforms to be added in the future I'm sure.

* Cover art for these games should come from the official publisher/developer.<br>
* Since there is no actual package a "digital" image is acceptable.<br>
       * Some companies provide a type of "electronic cover" for their games, these are acceptable in the highest original resolution possible - do not resize up or down.<br>
       * Some companies provide these on the site and/or in press kits.<br>
     * Some companies do not provide these "covers" at all, currently no other image is acceptable.<br>
      * Source of images is a requirement. <br>
* We are looking into accepting screenshots of the title image as an acceptable image in lieu of a "cover" if no cover image exists.<br>
* Images from sites other than companies involved with the game - fan site or media site is not acceptable. <br>

As with everything with MobyGames this is a work in progress. We will try to adapt to the changing landscape to accurately document every game ever made.

Evil Ryu (66051) on 7/7/2006 1:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

GBA games are allowed for this WIP? My doubt appeared because I've seen pictures as that...

Corn Popper (69027) on 7/7/2006 1:30 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

no, this only applies to games that are downloadable and playable on the traditional system

Shoddyan (15002) on 7/8/2006 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Evil Ryu wrote--]GBA games are allowed for this WIP? [/Q --end Evil Ryu wrote--]

As far as I know, most GBA games will be sold in a retail box containing the cartridge. There are no licensed hardware for "downloading" anything onto. I don't believe "flash cartridges" (definitely unlicensed by nintendo) are supported on any of our platforms.

n][rvana (1823) on 7/9/2006 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Can we use ad scans from magazines? For example, Gameloft games (for cell phones). Those ads contain the logo of the games.

Thanks, and cheers for that decision, it was a good choice!

PS. When we would be able to upload ads from mags for all the other games?? ;-) I'm dying to do that!

Corn Popper (69027) on 7/10/2006 12:49 AM · Permalink · Report

a logo is not really a cover for a game, so I'd say no

can't give you an answer on when for the ads, but it'll happen... more refinements are needed on it

Riamus (8480) on 7/10/2006 2:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--] * Images from sites other than companies involved with the game - fan site or media site is not acceptable. [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

Include magazines with sites in this.

[EDIT] Ignore who it says the quote is from... it's ignoring who I put..