Forums > News > Another reason to get fibre in the home

nullnullnull (1463) on 11/3/2006 3:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Kotaku is running a completely unsubstantiated rumor that Microsoft will be offering high def movies for download as part of the Xbox Live offering.

"Microsoft will begin offering downloadable HD movies later this month. At launch time- rumored to be around Nov. 22-over 1100 hours of video will be available to rent or purchase through an XBOX 360 connected to XBOX Live."

I have been drooling for either HD DVD or Blu Ray for months. The high def capabilities of my TV have been largely unused every since I got the monster a number of years ago. Being able to download HD movies sounds ... well ... awesome. However the tyranny of reality promises to shatter my 1080p dreams. At the theoretical top speed of my home connection it will still take over 24 hours to download a single movie. Even if I do download something the movie wouldn't even fit on the measly 20Gb 360 drive. I imagine that while the video may play in 1080p the poor thing will have the crap compressed out of it and will leave many including myself rather disappointed.

JPaterson (9502) on 11/4/2006 2:58 AM · Permalink · Report

That's what a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player is for.

Personally, any console with DVD functionality is going to be mediocre, at best. The blu-ray in the PS3 may work, but seeing as how a standalone blu-ray sells for close to a thousand, getting it with a game system for $600 should go to show what the quality of that player will be like. I'll stick with my real blu-ray player, thanks. Best grand I've ever spent on something not car or computer related.

Shoddyan (15003) on 11/4/2006 4:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JPaterson wrote--]That's what a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player is for.

Personally, any console with DVD functionality is going to be mediocre, at best. The blu-ray in the PS3 may work, but seeing as how a standalone blu-ray sells for close to a thousand, getting it with a game system for $600 should go to show what the quality of that player will be like. I'll stick with my real blu-ray player, thanks. Best grand I've ever spent on something not car or computer related. [/Q --end JPaterson wrote--]

It's also important to remember that the PS2 sold under the promises of "also being a DVD player" and a good many people bought it because of that. It certainly does play most DVDs... but it's functionality pales in comparison to an actual DVD player that I was able to purchase 6 months later. While these kind of functions are adequate as an extra, it's not something I would ever go out of my way for... Plays games great though.

Servo (57070) on 11/6/2006 4:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm thinking you're probably right. Though I've also been getting twitchy about having some hi-def content to display on my hi-def tv; I am rather tempted to grab a PS3 or xbox HD-DVD player as cheap way to get going until I can afford a stand alone player...haven't quite decided yet.

Zovni (10504) on 11/8/2006 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Servo wrote--] I am rather tempted to grab a PS3 or xbox HD-DVD player as cheap way to get going until I can afford a stand alone player... [/Q --end Servo wrote--]

Still not exactly a "cheap" solution :P

PS: call me a dummy but it just dawned on me that you have the laughing man logo as an avatar! Tres cool my man.

Servo (57070) on 11/11/2006 5:32 AM · Permalink · Report

"Still not exactly a "cheap" solution :P"

-- Mmm, true...on the relative scale though may not be too bad...

"PS: call me a dummy but it just dawned on me that you have the laughing man logo as an avatar! Tres cool my man."

-- Thanks :) doesn't necessarily mean you're a dummy though, being the extremely talkative person that I am, could be possible you just haven't seen me post much ;)

Игги Друге (46653) on 11/8/2006 11:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JPaterson wrote--]I'll stick with my real blu-ray player, thanks. Best grand I've ever spent on something not car or computer related. [/Q --end JPaterson wrote--] So what do you do with your blu-ray player?