Forums > News > Not Even I'm That Much of a Fanboy...

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 1/30/2007 7:07 AM · Permalink · Report

A seller on eBay is selling every single game ever made for the NES in his auction. The listing contains everything you could ever want to own for NES. The list has about 670 games, and also comes with a working NES, and every single accessory for the system including four controllers, a fourscore, two super-pads, a zapper, ROB, etc. Once you own this there is nothing else to own for the NES. Period.

Being a collector, owning every single game for a particular system is definitely something that entices me, but naturally the $20,000 price tag would scare many brave gamers away. A problem I also find with this is that most of the stuff is there for completeness. Okay, once you've paid $20,000, you own the bragging rights to having every single NES game and accessory on the planet. But that's about it. For the total lot there is probably only about 100 to 150 games in there worth playing more than once. Most of the equipment will probably never be used. While I'd have to say its pretty awesome having the bragging rights, I don't think its worth it to have to sell your car for it.

Ironically I would like to point out that while he has 670 listed as every game, MG has over 700 documented for that system (something I'm proud to say, I honestly thought we'd have less). It also appears to me that there are some listed on his that we don't have documented yet. Anyone feel like digging through the list in case we don't have a game there already?

Foxhack (32100) on 1/30/2007 7:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]A seller on eBay is selling every single game ever made for the NES in his auction. The listing contains everything you could ever want to own for NES. The list has about 670 games, and also comes with a working NES, and every single accessory for the system including four controllers, a fourscore, two super-pads, a zapper, ROB, etc. Once you own this there is nothing else to own for the NES. Period.

Being a collector, owning every single game for a particular system is definitely something that entices me, but naturally the $20,000 price tag would scare many brave gamers away. A problem I also find with this is that most of the stuff is there for completeness. Okay, once you've paid $20,000, you own the bragging rights to having every single NES game and accessory on the planet. But that's about it. For the total lot there is probably only about 100 to 150 games in there worth playing more than once. Most of the equipment will probably never be used. While I'd have to say its pretty awesome having the bragging rights, I don't think its worth it to have to sell your car for it.

Ironically I would like to point out that while he has 670 listed as every game, MG has over 700 documented for that system (something I'm proud to say, I honestly thought we'd have less). It also appears to me that there are some listed on his that we don't have documented yet. Anyone feel like digging through the list in case we don't have a game there already? [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Oh, there's quite a few games that aren't on the system. I just can't be bothered to make entries for 'em. ;P I've got enough on the backburner as it is...

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/30/2007 7:15 AM · Permalink · Report

He stipulates that every licensed game is in the collection. I used to run an internet database for NES games (I am a fanboy) and I knew of 760 total American NES games. It's probably the same collection for Canada, which is where this auction takes place. I reconciled my list against MobyGames a few years ago and found at least 200 games missing. By now, things have likely improved. However, there are a great many NES games in the database that are non-North American releases.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 1/30/2007 7:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Does that include Japanese-only NES games? Looks like there are only those that were released in the US. There are many more NES games out there.

jamyskis (332) on 1/30/2007 9:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Í think demanding $20,000 is a bit much. Then again, if someone's stupid enough to pay that...

If you're willing to put a bit of effort into collecting, you would probably be able to get a complete collection together for about $5,000-$6,000.

Servo (57070) on 1/30/2007 12:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Definitely way too much, especially since (as noted) the Japanese games are missing and it looks like most of these are missing the box/manual!

Foxhack (32100) on 1/30/2007 7:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Servo wrote--]Definitely way too much, especially since (as noted) the Japanese games are missing and it looks like most of these are missing the box/manual! [/Q --end Servo wrote--]Yep, it's insane. That goes up to thirty bucks a game. And I'm not even sure the guy HAS all games...

Of course he does have some fairly rare games in the auction. Faria and Little Samson are worth a hundred bucks, each, LOOSE. And they're boxed and complete from the pictures I can see.

He's also got TMNT Tournament Fighters, Contra Force, The Flintstones, Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon Warrior 1-4, Duck Tales 2, and The Jetsons. Each of those is worth at least fifty bucks loose.

Yes, the price is insane, but I guess they'd rather own pieces of plastic instead of sending their kids to college...

Servo (57070) on 1/30/2007 8:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[quote]He's also got TMNT Tournament Fighters, Contra Force, The Flintstones, Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon Warrior 1-4, Duck Tales 2, and The Jetsons. Each of those is worth at least fifty bucks loose.[/quote]You think so? That seems kinda high for a loose NES game, even a really rare one...Complete sure, but loose?

[quote]Yes, the price is insane, but I guess they'd rather own pieces of plastic instead of sending their kids to college...[/quote] Not all of us have kids...besides, could be an investment; buy them all at what one hopes is a deal, then sell individually in a couple years time for some profit? Not many people can afford such a huge lot, but a lot of people bid high on individual games, sometimes more than they are worth.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/31/2007 2:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Faria is worth a hundred bucks, loose? Score! Somehow, I doubt that, though. I only paid $10-$20 for my loose copy back in 1998. Amazon lists copies for a little more than that.

Robstein (199) on 1/31/2007 6:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] Yes, the price is insane, but I guess they'd rather own pieces of plastic instead of sending their kids to college... [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--]

It's crazy. I once sold my Spinjas Stadium for over $200 to a guy who wanted to show his kids a piece of his childhood. His words, too.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/31/2007 7:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sounds interesting. Do you still remember enough about Spinjas Stadium so that you can contribute it to the database?

Indra was here (20756) on 1/31/2007 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Trust me. Memories are worth more than a thousand bucks. If you have the money, its not an issue.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 1/30/2007 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Someone tallied it up, and those NES games on the Virtual Console for the Wii would cost about $3000-$5000, and would all fit on one SD memory card.

Amazing how memory standards have improved.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/30/2007 7:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Someone tallied it up, and those NES games on the Virtual Console for the Wii would cost about $3000-$5000, and would all fit on one SD memory card.

Amazing how memory standards have improved. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]I don't think we'll be seeing the Sesame Street games on the Wii, though. :p

Foxhack (32100) on 1/30/2007 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

As of right now, the current offer is just a bit over $220,000.

Good lord.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/31/2007 2:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Right about now, I'm beginning to suspect that the bidders aren't actually serious, though accidents do happen on eBay.

nullnullnull (1463) on 1/31/2007 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I dunno. It's at 25k right now. That is about $37 per game. Hardly a good deal.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 1/31/2007 4:03 AM · Permalink · Report

According to the retraction and cancellation history, there were canceled bids of up to $350K. But, yeah, even $37/game is absurd. I know of some used video game shops with entire walls devoted to cheap NES and SNES games. They would probably be willing to let you get a healthy start on your collection for $1/cartridge or less if you would take a few hundred off their hands.

Reborn_Demon (127) on 1/31/2007 7:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]As of right now, the current offer is just a bit over $220,000.

Good lord. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] The worst thing about buying this sort of thing for $220,000 is the worry. For instance, the console could already be broke, and by the time you buy it, you'll never play on it for fear of it breaking (for example, a family member might barge in during gameplay and knock it of the shelf it's on and- bye bye NES).

Maw (832) on 1/31/2007 9:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Why would someone pay almost a quarter of a million dollars just to /play/ games? Chances are he's a collector who wants every rare game in existance. He'd probably be easy to spot, just look for someone driving a solid-gold Watusi while eating a caviar burrito.

...But sheesh that's a lot of money. :S

Indra was here (20756) on 1/31/2007 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Maw wrote--]He'd probably be easy to spot, just look for someone driving a solid-gold Watusi while eating a caviar burrito. [/Q --end Maw wrote--]

Heh. I've seen and known one too many in my day. The really really rich ones don't show off. You only know their freakin rich beyond your wildest dreams after you go their place. But that's only where I come from.

Servo (57070) on 1/31/2007 5:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[quote] The worst thing about buying this sort of thing for $220,000 is the worry. For instance, the console could already be broke, and by the time you buy it, you'll never play on it for fear of it breaking (for example, a family member might barge in during gameplay and knock it of the shelf it's on and- bye bye NES).[/quote] I wouldn't worry about the console itself, NES systems can be found pretty cheap (especially not even close to an issue if one could afford $220,000!). There's also some clones that play NES games rather well. The cartridges themselves can take a reasonable beating even and still work, though cosmetic damage may occur. Probably biggest concern would be the same as for anything valuable; theft, fire, assorted acts of god, whatever...