Forums > News > Demoscene heroes move on to code games

Trixter (8952) on 2/2/2007 9:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Some people still recognize me from the demoscene and as the guy who made both MindCandy DVDs. So I was happy to see that there was a recent English translation of the 4players.de article talking about which demosceners have gone on to make (great) games.

Some of the names and products are no surprise, like Digital Illusions and their spot-on pinball games -- but did you know they are the people responsible for the Battlefield series as well? Check it out, and see what kind of life awaits you when you graduate from the demoscene.

Игги Друге (46654) on 2/2/2007 12:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Thalion employed much of the Atari ST elite, and Amiga group Abyss morphed into Shin'en.

Andy Voss (1861) on 2/2/2007 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Another they left out was Core Design, behind the Tomb Raider series, featuring Dan and Nuke of Lemon, among others. And Funcom (makers of The Longest Journey) employed many Norwegian sceners in their early days.

Shoddyan (15002) on 2/2/2007 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

And why not? If someone is allowed to learn good programming skills, and art design... why shouldn't they take those skills into other areas? A day job if you will.

Anyway I'm glad to see that those skills aren't being wasted in any case. It reminds me that I have .kkrieger to add into the database. The amazing 3D Accelerated 96KB FPS. Which probably looks a lot better on other people's computers than mine.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 2/2/2007 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]It reminds me that I have .kkrieger to add into the database. The amazing 3D Accelerated 96KB FPS. Which probably looks a lot better on other people's computers than mine.[/Q --end WildKard wrote--] Looks nice but requires a lot of horsepower to run smoothly. Which apparently my system lacks. Nevertheless, a nice return to days gone.

Игги Друге (46654) on 2/3/2007 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I just found out that Bloodhouse was formed by Aggression, Finland's foremost ST group.

Kabushi (260849) on 2/4/2007 12:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Wasn't UDS also part of the ST scene? I know their first games were for the ST at least.

Looks like most Swedish companies have their roots in the demoscene.

Игги Друге (46654) on 2/4/2007 2:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, their musician was a one-man demogroup, and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest were sceners as well, though they weren't part of the most famous groups AFAIK. Once we add some old ST freeware games we might know.

Trixter (8952) on 2/4/2007 4:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--]I just found out that Bloodhouse was formed by Aggression, Finland's foremost ST group. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Yep, and Purple Motion / FC wrote some music for a few of their titles as well.