🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > News > Alien Carnage released as freeware

Katakis | カタキス (43091) on 5/31/2007 4:31 AM · Permalink · Report

So they did it with Major Stryker, Bio Menace, Xenophage, and Stargunner. Now the good folks over at 3D Realms have decided to release Alien Carnage as freeware.

Originally titled Halloween Harry, the aim is to guide the hero through sewers, factories, and office blocks killing zombies with a variety of weapons and rescue hostages before they turn into one of them. Alien Carnage featured digitized music, crisp VGA graphics, and excellent cut-scenes.

Because of 3D Realms' policy of releasing their old titles as freeware every year, we might be seeing Mystic Towers, Hocus Pocus, Realms of Chaos, Death Rally, and much of their other older titles.

chirinea (47495) on 5/31/2007 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

First of all: where the hell have you been, Black Wolf?

Heh, but yeah, I think it is really cool of 3D Realms to release their games as freeware. It would be nice if other companies just followed their example.

LepricahnsGold (142745) on 5/31/2007 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know about on the computer, but Exidy has released several (all?) of their old B&W arcade games (and some color), releases and prototypes, as freeware/public domain. You can download the ROMs at http://www.mamedev.org/roms/. Also there are Robby Roto from Bally/Midway, Gridlee (prototype) from Videa, Inc, and Alien Arena from Duncan Brown.

Maw (832) on 5/31/2007 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

That's awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on the full version of Hocus Pocus.

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/31/2007 11:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Just thinking the same thing!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/3/2007 2:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Apogee are just a bunch of great guys, they always were. And while most other companies, even the "old-grown" ones, seem to have mostly turned into creatively dead cash-machineries that treat their customers like the last piece of crap on the planet, Apogee just continues to rule. Compared to say 10 years ago, it's become rare that I could actually call myself a fan of an actual game company, not just a company's games. Well, one might argue that this is in part due to the fact that Apogee/3DR wasn't really that alive the past decade :) But still, amiable companies with soul were more and more replaced by the same heartless accumulations of bloodsucking bitches that are ruling over other media sectors such as movies or music. It's really delighting to see some people for once who have not forgotten about their roots, and who still show that nerdy fascination and ambition that got us all where we are today. And I can't help but thinking that a chunk of that attitude is just what's lacking today.

But anyway, I'm digressing. What I meant to say was: YEA, FREE GAMEZ!!!!!!11

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 6/3/2007 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

And while most other companies, even the "old-grown" ones, seem to have mostly turned into creatively dead cash-machineries that treat their customers like the last piece of crap on the planet

I don't think that's the case: I think it's the soul-dead creditor companies who inherited exclusive rights to the properties of the bankrupt "old-grown" companies who have turned themselves into creatively dead cash-machineries.