šŸ•¹ļø New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Another year of MobyGames: 2008

Sciere (930490) on 12/30/2008 9:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Update: originally I did not plan to post this, because there are always people who feel left out and this sets some bad blood, but I wanted to share it regardless of that. If any valuable contributions are missing, just share them in the replies. I thought it would be a nice way to bring some closure to 2008, and at the same time put some people in the spotlight who may have gone by unnoticed.

Before everyone is drowsed in the celebrations of yet another, bolder year, it is time to look back what 2008 brought to this site; some general observations of my own and statistics that cannot be tracked through this siteā€™s stats page. The numbers shown below are based on a snapshot I took on 31st December 2007 and compared to 31st December 2008. That means that a lot of submissions submitted this year but not yet approved are not taken into account. Since they are based on the submission date however, they will be added to the 2008 statistics even if they are approved in 2009. The same happened last year, so this is still an overview of a full year, but not complete yet as more will be added to the 2008 stats in the coming months. I actually meant to make a breakdown for each platform based on game entries, cover art and screenshots, but MobyGames does not use tables so I couldn't paste the numbers and had to copy them by hand. Which I didn't... so instead, a lot of compliments to start the year with a warm, fuzzy feeling. If you want to compare the numbers yourself, the stats page of 2007 is available here.

As joyvalley already pointed out, if we observe the amount of submissions this year we grew stronger once again. The top 50 contributors of 2008 amounted to 316,900 points, where in 2007 this was 264,555. In 2007 1,456 points was sufficient to reach that yearā€™s top 50, in 2008 1,961 was needed.

New game entries
Numbers alone are poor of course, so Iā€™ll pass on some honorable mentions based on what I dealt with as an approver this year. Feel free to add those of your own for the queues you were involved with, or the information you enjoyed as a contributor or a visitor. First of all, we did extremely well in keeping track of new game releases, formerly a rather weak point of ours. In this regard we own a huge debt to Big John WV. Having joined in March 2007, he quickly became a prominent contributor for various platforms and especially new game releases, also covering genres that were underpopulated such as sports games. He learned to write outstanding descriptions very fast and is this yearā€™s most active new game contributor with no less than 334 individual game entries. I tried, but I just couldnā€™t keep up. His partner in crime was stvedder, who focused on older releases we appeared to have missed. He has been with the site since 2006, but became very active this year with 180 new game releases. The Dutchman is also notorious for spamming his submission comment with at least 20 sources for approvers to learn more about the game, which is a good thing of course. Then we have the game collector Sicarius who provided an unbelievable amount of new PC game releases complete with cover art, screenshots, credits and descriptions to fill an entire Wikipedia entry. Letā€™s hope 2009 bring his break into game journalism. It is also of note that his command of English has vastly improved, a positive effect that contributing to this site appears to bring along. Next to keeping his own site fresh with news, he dedicated an unbelievable amount of time to MobyGames this year. We all know how tedious credit submissions can be to enter, but Sicarius showed no mercy submitted the largest listing ever to the site (Grand Theft Auto IV) with 3,540 names. Brian even had to optimize the credits system so he would be able to enter them. With 9,331 points this year, he also submitted the largest amount of credits ever in a single year. To top it off we have our Brazilian contributor Macs Black who works in silence, but was almost on his own responsible for all our listings of casual, downloadable games.

Local game development
Our diverse backgrounds and nationalities bring us in touch with titles and information we would never have been aware of otherwise. Next to the outstanding Odyssey submissions chirinea keeps us in touch with Brazilian game development and Klaster_1 and Stratege are always there with Russian release info, backed up with covers from them along with Kyler.ural.

Covers
It was good to see many new names scan their archives to contribute to the site. People such as faklan, EddyB43, robotriot (amazing amount of Amiga CD32 covers!), airshark (MSX), COBRA-COBRETTI (Polish covers), djsquarewave (Japanese titles), Pollo Diablo and qwertyuiop come to mind. Top of the crop this year was joyvalley, who appears to own about every single German PC release ever made available. He submitted no less than 4,000 covers this year and keeps the queue filled at all times. Not that anyone dares to go there now, as no one can make heads or tails of Xoleras' and joyvalleyā€™s lengthy conversations in German.

Screenshots
Our eccentric bearded approver Pseudo_Intellectual does not only provide information about obscure games and wonderful titles I have come to love, he also played many DOS games this year to fill the gaps. The same goes for Depeche Mike Isguder, Pomah, Tomas Pettersson (especially Atari ST), LepricahnsGold (Atari/Game Boy), Opipeuter Inconnivus (WonderSwan/Game Boy), Parf (PSX), ALAKA (SNES/NES/Genesis), beetle120 (NES/Browser), ricky derocher (DOS), DJP Mom, Supernintendo Chalmers, Ben K (TV captures) and Servo (TV captures). Then there is also Picard who submitted an incredible wealth of screenshots, but needed some time to adapt to the siteā€™s standards.

Various
I enjoyed the knowledgeable reviews by JazzOleg, St. Martyne, Jeanne (adventures), Black Wolf (classic gaming), Daniel SteinbrĆ¼ck, lasttoblame (rants!), Sam Jeffreys and Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari and was glad to finally see some fellow Belgians contribute so much: cheers vicrabb and lieven.dk!

Also a round of applause for Wizo and Big John WV who meticulously keep up with submitting MobyRankings (and also approving them in Wizoā€™s case). You may also be interested to know that enormous-rat once again did outstanding work on company logos, the only area of the site he appears to be interested in. He submitted more than 1,000 logos this year alone! B.L. Stryker is also very active with older companies (and Czech ones in general) in this area.

Of course there is the entire approverā€™s team to thank and the fellow admins, who try to follow up submissions as quickly as possible. Jeanne was this yearā€™s most active approver with almost 25% of all submissions. User I encountered the most were Kabushi who is omnipresent on the site, Terok Nor who spends lots of time correcting information (along with Kabushi) and Jeanne who shares my passion for company overviews and developer biographies where more contributions are still welcome. Also a random shout to Solid Flamingo for his interest in browser games.

2008 brought along three new platforms: browser games are now very present in the updates and bring along unusual game entries we need to document fast before they disappear. Spectravideo was also added along with the more recent iPhone/iPod Touch. Despite the efforts, we were once again unable to change much to the general system of the site and unfortunately Š˜Š³Š³Šø Š”Ń€ŃƒŠ³Šµ was fed up with this and left. His expertise will be sorely missed. Weā€™ll have to try and grind the wheels further in 2009 to bring changes where we can. On the other hand, we were also able to welcome a lot of new contributors, approvers and developers who came by to correct and contribute additional information. Xoleras is back in action and MAT also briefly passed by.

I probably forgot a lot of names, but do know all the hard work if appreciated, Iā€™m sure the replies below will fill in where needed. This is one of the most valuable game resources on the net and Iā€™m glad we stick to our standards to keep the quality as high as possible.

Time for some more 2008 numbers:

• New game entries (multiplatform): 6,273
  • New screenshots: 62,865
  • New covers: 28,774
  • New reviews: 866
  • New product codes: 8,737
Moving on to the general ranking movement compared to 31st December 2007.

In 2007 5,270 was sufficient to reach the top 50, in 2008 this was raised to 8,180. Names who dropped from the top 50 this year: //dbz., Lightknight, Belboz, CxHx, -Chris, Stillman and Riamus.

Thanks for being such a wonderful community and all the best... see you next year!

Sciere (930490) on 1/1/2009 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

It's back up now.

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/1/2009 2:47 PM · Permalink · Report

This has to be the most excellent update ever!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/1/2009 3:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Simply, wow! That is the most greatest post, ever. Congratulations and I hope all the hard work you've done brought lots of pleasure and satisfaction! Carry on with the high spirit in 2009!

I also want to mention Drunken Irishman 's spectacular article covering the history of RPG genre from the western perspective. I hope the year 2009 will net us much more articles, even if not of such grand scope.

I also want to thank everyone on the forums for making it the most calm, cosiest and generally great place to be around discussing games in all their possible variations.

And still I am furious at one particular overlooked contributor. You should be ashamed of yourself, Sciere. How could you forget a man who's done so much for this project? I think we'll just have to wait till he'll be the first to break into a godhood by breaking a 100k and celebrate him ourselves. Hmph.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/1/2009 3:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--] It is also of note that is command of English has vastly improved [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Hehe. Funny sentence.

Sciere (930490) on 1/1/2009 3:16 PM · Permalink · Report

If he was French I could still say it was intentional, damn =)

PolloDiablo (16852) on 1/1/2009 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Yay I got mentioned :-D I'm almost done scanning my entire collection though, so I'm not very likely to get into the top 50 in 2009 either. ;-)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/1/2009 4:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Here's to another great year for Moby ! But my goal now is to get into the 10,000 point club. I 've got a itch to review games, and re-write that cleaning guide. Cheers to all !

vedder (70822) on 1/1/2009 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Excellent job everyone!

I started actively contributing things in August. Primarily MobyRanks from all the magazines I own. And whenever I come across a game that's not listed yet I add it and possible sequels or related games (over 180 already!). I still have about a quarter of my collection to go so at least the next few months I'll know what to do!

Big John WV (26954) on 1/2/2009 4:22 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]Excellent job everyone!

I started actively contributing things in August. Primarily MobyRanks from all the magazines I own. And whenever I come across a game that's not listed yet I add it and possible sequels or related games (over 180 already!). I still have about a quarter of my collection to go so at least the next few months I'll know what to do! [/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

LOL, you do the same thing I do.

j.raido ć€é›·å ‚å¬¢å¤Ŗꜗ怑 (95185) on 1/2/2009 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Same here, everything I've got left to scan is going to need a new game added to go with it, and some of the stuff I've got I don't even know much about, myself...!

Sicarius (61518) on 1/1/2009 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Cheers to all of of us with supposedly no life! :D

Yeah, that's about all I can think of saying at the moment...

n00b question: whats the moby tag to link to users?

Sciere (930490) on 1/1/2009 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

There is no tag, but you can use regular HTML links.

robotriot (9015) on 1/1/2009 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Now I'm pretty much through with scanning missing covers from my collection I believe. The main thing still remaining is adding the roughly 70 games across various platforms I found so far that are not in the database yet. But writing descriptions is a real pain :(

Foxhack (32100) on 1/1/2009 9:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start robotriot wrote--]Now I'm pretty much through with scanning missing covers from my collection I believe. The main thing still remaining is adding the roughly 70 games across various platforms I found so far that are not in the database yet. But writing descriptions is a real pain :( [/Q --end robotriot wrote--]It gets easier.

I've been here six years and I've barely gotten the hang of writing new descriptions.

robotriot (9015) on 1/1/2009 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh, yea I've written my first descriptions for the site in 1999. They were really crappy :D However, the annoying thing is having to write accurate descriptions for games you never really played or can't play because your hardware doesn't work anymore.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 1/1/2009 6:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, excellent post! It's always interesting to read about the site. Great work everyone!

Last year I focused on credits. I have searched the net for manuals with credits and other credit listings to enter. I also built a special tool that helps me enter the credits, which I plan to share with the rest of you soon! This year I will probably continue working on credits and I'm also curious about becoming an approver.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/1/2009 9:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Curses, I didn't make it to the top 50 this year. :(

If only my stupid capture card didn't suck so much. (Or if you gave us six points per TV capture. :P)

Indra was here (20755) on 1/1/2009 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]Curses, I didn't make it to the top 50 this year. :( [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] Wait for my pending news item, mate.

Xoleras (66141) on 1/1/2009 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Interesting is that Multimedia Mike held status quo in the lower part of the top 50. Was probably hard to accomplish. :D

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/1/2009 11:13 PM · Permalink · Report

sigh I have three kids games at home that I can barely even look at sideways, dreading the process of writing them up. Once I begin, I might actually find them interesting - sometimes the process used to mix entertainment with education is...fun. Really beginning is the problem, however :P

Foxhack (32100) on 1/1/2009 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]sigh I have three kids games at home that I can barely even look at sideways, dreading the process of writing them up. Once I begin, I might actually find them interesting - sometimes the process used to mix entertainment with education is...fun. Really beginning is the problem, however :P [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]Just three, mom?

I have around 30 edumacational games that I need to write stuff for! Some are Mac versions, too, so I need to figure out Mac emulation soonish...

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/2/2009 12:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--] Just three, mom? [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] Library card limits ; )

Foxhack (32100) on 1/2/2009 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start Kit Silva wrote--] Just three, mom? [/Q2 --end Kit Silva wrote--] Library card limits ; ) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]I thought Librarians had the entire catalog at their disposal. ;p

Xoleras (66141) on 1/2/2009 12:49 AM · Permalink · Report

At the disposal, probably. :) But it's about at home, which might be a problem if you don't live in a library. ;)

But the good thing is, if you work in a library, you've plenty of time to go to the library to give one game back and get a new one. :-)

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/2/2009 1:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]At the disposal, probably. :) But it's about at home, which might be a problem if you don't live in a library. ;)

But the good thing is, if you work in a library, you've plenty of time to go to the library to give one game back and get a new one. :-) [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] This is true :) I so often keep stuff overdue, though, that I feel too guilty overriding the three-game limit we have in place. I just have to get started!

Indra was here (20755) on 1/3/2009 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]...which might be a problem if you don't live in a library. ;) [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] ...wait, you mean she doesn't?
cough

beetle120 (2415) on 1/2/2009 4:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am happy that I got a mention considering the amazing amount of high quality submissions done by others, so much so I don't feel that I am in the same league. I don't know how some of you find the time but I am glad you do. Personality I would like to thank Multimedia Mike for the lists that he keeps, it has been a very useful resource for me.

PolloDiablo (16852) on 1/2/2009 6:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hmm. From the GameBoy Color list: New Addams Family Series, The I added that game back in 2006 :-)

-edit- and 102 Dalmatians - Puppies to the Rescue is also already in the database.

xroox (3895) on 1/2/2009 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Fascinating post! Congrats to all the contributors and many thanks to the overworked approvers.

I'm quite embarrassed to get a mention as I didn't write much this year. I will try to remedy that in 2009 :)

coenak (3627) on 1/2/2009 11:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Great read. Thanks for posting this and great work to all!

Alaka (106107) on 1/3/2009 12:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Happy to see the database keeps growing every year. Here's to another productive year.

Kabushi (261204) on 1/3/2009 10:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

And just now we reached 2000 games released in 2008 (or at least with a 2008 release info), which is an extremely high number at this time. Compare it with 2257 2007 releases and 2026 2006 releases.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 1/4/2009 5:23 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I like the way how "new article in two years" is not important enough to gain any mention. Sorry for the drama, but it does sting a bit.

Thanks Martyne for bothering to mention it. It was a nice gesture.

Sciere (930490) on 1/4/2009 11:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I missed it because apparently I only thought of the regular content, you know how much I enjoyed it.

Also: Originally I did not plan to post this, because there are always people who feel left out and this sets some bad blood, but I wanted to share it regardless of that. If any valuable contributions are missing, just share them in the replies. - which St_Martyne fortunately did!

Big John WV (26954) on 1/4/2009 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Damn, that's a lot of contributions. I can't believe I had the most games, I thought you would have it Sciere. Thanks again for the mention and you are not far off from a huge milestone yourself. If Mobygames had awards you would be hands down for "Lifetime Achievement" easily, lol.

micnictic (387) on 1/4/2009 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I know, I'm a bit late, but... a happy new year to everybody!

It really is interesting to see all the contributions summed up so nicely, since I wasn't so aware of what efforts what people were making for MobyGames. And, of course, it really is nice to get a mention here, though I'm not sure whether deserved or not, seeing how constantly others put work into this site.

Of course, it's only natural that some contributions slip through in such a detailed summary of a whole year's work. I don't think, that should be the cause of any bad blood. Anyway, since I'm not so familiar with the activity going on in the field of MobyRanks or release infos, I'd just like to mention two other reviewers: Matt Neuteboom and Melody. I really enjoy their writings.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/4/2009 11:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel SteinbrĆ¼ck wrote--] I'm not sure whether deserved or not, seeing how constantly others put work into this site. [/Q --end Daniel SteinbrĆ¼ck wrote--]

Completely deserved. ;-)

MobyGames is a game documentation and review project - as the title up on the bar suggests. Some may argue, but I see the reviewing part of this project at the very least as important as its other, more practical counterpart.

It brings a very important human touch to the whole thing, colouring those bytes of dry and cold data with the people's memories of them. And isn't it what we all doing here? Collecting and preserving memories?

So, don't doubt it, your contribution is as valueable as anybody else's here. Even more so for me and Sciere, since we both, apparently, enjoy your reviews. Write on!

micnictic (387) on 1/5/2009 11:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you. Actually I'd like to return the compliments. Not because I'm such a polite person, but because your reviews always are a joy to read.

Big John WV (26954) on 1/6/2009 6:45 AM · Permalink · Report

I like your avatar Daniel, looks cool.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/6/2009 7:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Big John WV wrote--]I like your avatar Daniel, looks cool. [/Q --end Big John WV wrote--]MEXICO APPROVES.

vicrabb (7272) on 1/10/2009 1:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it seems that Belgium got a few more members this year, included myself :D

Thanks for the cheers though.

Now back to SingStar franchise. I swear it, this series will be my death. It was already the case for NeoSeeker.... Why did I decide to do it for Mobygames? Oh yeah, the lack of the newest releases for the series...

Solid Flamingo (1432) on 1/17/2009 10:48 AM · Permalink · Report

That was very interesting to read, and somewhat surprising to see my name there. It's nice to feel acknowledged. :)

Good job, all you mass contributors out there!

Parf (7873) on 1/18/2009 1:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I swear I'll end up on that list in some way next year! ;)

Great job everyone! This is the friendliest and most informative site i've come across on the internet I'd say.