Forums > MobyGames > Clicking on the link to a profile = empty search

vicrabb (7272) on 1/24/2009 8:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey,

As you may know, I'm currently trying to add the maximum of SingStar Games. And as you may remember, I've initiated a discussion about the tracklist mixing local songs and international ones in English.

So, as I was advised to submit as a new game entry, you can imagine that I need to link to the UK or US game entry when it comes to French, Italian or other releases.

Problem is that when everything seems normal in the moby tag, when clicking on the link, I've experienced this: Empty search. And it's not the first time it's happening to me. Jeanne also constated this and said that it was perhaps something to discuss in the forums.

So, as three SingStar games were added, again, I've experienced this problem.

So, here is the link: http://www.mobygames.com/game/singstar-hits (sorry i don't know if moby tags are working or not in the forums).

What is causing this problem? Do I need to do something in particular?

Thanks

Sciere (930488) on 1/24/2009 8:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not for all MobyTags it is possible to add the "platform" attribute, the space between "PlayStation" and "3" seems to mess it up, but this happens with Windows too. The only perfect way to solve it is to link using the product code, e.g. < moby search = " 12345678901 " > Game < / moby > - or when none is available just link it without the platform.

Wizo (28758) on 1/24/2009 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Using the HTML code should work, too.

vicrabb (7272) on 1/24/2009 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Which html code? The one with < a href="" >?

Wizo (28758) on 1/24/2009 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes.

Xoleras (66141) on 1/24/2009 10:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

But this isn't really a good way to use that; here in the forum sure, but not in a description etc., as the anchor depends on the URL. If the URL gets changed, the link is dead. While you can encounter that with MobyTags too, the best thing is what Sciere said, use the product code search - that should be persistent in 99.9% of the times. :)

vicrabb (7272) on 1/25/2009 1:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I'll probably not to mention the platform, I hate searching product codes for what I'm not owning.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/25/2009 6:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vicrabb wrote--]Which html code? The one with < a href="" >? [/Q --end vicrabb wrote--] Though it may work, the approvers had a consensus (or some of them :p) that we should NOT use the a href code in descriptions. Reasoning is that there may be future changes to the designated address. Only because it has happened once before, I believe.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/25/2009 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Instead, we collect reams of 404s at our game company URL section 8)

Sciere (930488) on 1/25/2009 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

They're getting removed now, and the former website address is stored in a trivia item so it can be looked up through archive.org.

Xoleras (66141) on 1/25/2009 7:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Not just because of "future changes"... the URL is created using the game's primary name. And when that changes (e.g. swapping titles, splits, merges etc.), the URL gets invalid.