🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > PlayStation 3 vs. PLAYSTATION 3

—- (1623) on 2/16/2009 4:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, pretty nit-picky indeed.

It seems that Sony are officially referring to their latest console as PLAYSTATION 3, instead of PlayStation 3. As can be seen here, the brand name remains in "PlayStation Network" and "PlayStation Store", but the system's name itself is constantly capitalized.

Although it looks rather silly, I think MG should go with the official name.

Big John WV (26954) on 2/16/2009 4:24 AM · Permalink · Report

I guess they wanted to feel important by MAKING EVERYTHING CAPITAL LETTERS, lol. I don't see a big deal though, it is kinda funny that they spell PS2, Playstation 2 as though it is unimportant anymore. At least they aren't doing what Nintendo did back in the late nineties and adding "64" at the end of every title.

robotriot (9015) on 2/16/2009 7:32 AM · Permalink · Report

I remember reading somewhere that writing your favourite system in capital letters identifies you automatically as a fanboy.

Xoleras (66141) on 2/16/2009 7:43 AM · Permalink · Report

So, all DOS gamers were automatically fanboys? =)

robotriot (9015) on 2/16/2009 11:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Probably, since they usually stated their perceived superiority over the AMIGA ;)

Indra was here (20755) on 2/16/2009 7:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]So, all DOS gamers were automatically fanboys? =) [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] And PROUD of it too. :)

Lampbane (21035) on 2/16/2009 6:32 PM · Permalink · Report

It's fairly common to put trademarks in all caps. I say ignore it, as it's probably just the decision of an overzealous legal department.

—- (1623) on 2/16/2009 6:49 PM · Permalink · Report

The point is that Sony don't put any other "PlayStation" brand designations in all caps.

Lampbane (21035) on 2/16/2009 6:53 PM · Permalink · Report

But they used to for the other system... at least I remember seeing PLAYSTATION 2 in a few cases, back in the day...

—- (1623) on 2/16/2009 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lampbane wrote--]But they used to for the other system... at least I remember seeing PLAYSTATION 2 in a few cases, back in the day... [/Q --end Lampbane wrote--]

In official publications by Sony? I'd like to see that.

Xoleras (66141) on 2/16/2009 7:11 PM · Permalink · Report

1) We aren't the marketing extension of some game companies.

2) I think people will find the PS3 at PlayStation 3 when looking for PLAYSTATION 3.

So, what was the issue again? :P

Indra was here (20755) on 2/16/2009 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]So, what was the issue again? :P [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--]

Being Official vs. Being able to use grammar :p

—- (1623) on 2/16/2009 11:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start Xoleras wrote--]So, what was the issue again? :P [/Q2 --end Xoleras wrote--]

Being Official vs. Being able to use grammar :p [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Not even that. It's 'official, grammatically incorrect spelling' vs. 'inofficial, grammatically incorrect spelling'. The former has no disadvantages in comparison to the latter.

—- (1623) on 2/16/2009 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]1) We aren't the marketing extension of some game companies. [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] Well, If calling products by their actual names constitutes being the "marketing extension of some game companies", then we already are by calling systems "iPhone" or "PlayStation". It's just a matter of consistency. For example, the database lists the game ICO as "ICO" instead of "Ico" because that's the official name given by its creators.

Needless to say, it's not a big deal or anything, but given the fact that diction for games is documented quite meticulously, (and rightfully so) I just thought it was worth mentioning. Of course it's nit-picky, but that's how documentation for this kind of stuff should be, shouldn't it? :p

Any other approvers have an opinion on this?

formercontrib (157510) on 2/17/2009 12:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ash Ligast II wrote--] Well, If calling products by their actual names constitutes being the "marketing extension of some game companies", then we already are by calling systems "iPhone" or "PlayStation". It's just a matter of consistency. For example, the database lists the game ICO as "ICO" instead of "Ico" because that's the official name given by its creators.[/Q --end Ash Ligast II wrote--]

I can't say anything about ingame name after starting/installing. But when i look at all existing discs on file ... i always see ICO below the SONY logo in the trademarks - EXCEPT for the US version - here it says Ico (but Australia, Germany, European Discs all say Ico in the trademark! ...(perhaps this is also wrong printed and should be Sony ;) the company itselves wrote their own company wrong in big letters because under the logo in the trademarks stands Sony.... ;)

Perhaps Moby Admins/Approvers are willing if you send in an CORRECTION to change the release title to Ico (because of US disc) and you also send in ALTERNATE TITLES: ICO for Europe, Germany, Australia etc. --- if this important for YOU and Moby ... (for me - but my opinion isn't of value - i would say: it isn't of interest for me)...

robotriot (9015) on 2/17/2009 12:29 AM · Permalink · Report

You know, speaking from my own experience doing splash screens for games ... the way the title is spelt on the cover isn't necessarily the way the game is supposed to be called officially. Sometimes, it just has to look cool on the cover.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 2/17/2009 2:04 AM · Permalink · Report

I move we needn't be more pedantic than Wikipedia, whose article opens:

"The PlayStation 3 (officially marketed PLAYSTATION 3, commonly abbreviated PS3)"